A question about kinematics of a rigid rotor

In summary, the conversation revolves around two questions regarding the rotation of two bodies, a disc mounted on another disc. The first question is about summing up the angular velocities of both bodies and why the disc itself does not have just w2. The second question is about the addition of relative velocities from points C to D, which are on the same axis, and why it is not from points E to D. The explanation involves understanding that the velocity of points on a rotating shaft is determined by the angular velocity and not the position along the shaft. The conversation ends with a request for a mathematical explanation.
dorratz

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

I have a question about this(I know you want to see my soultion, but I've done it ok except the 2 things I'm asking about) :
http://athena.ecs.csus.edu/~grandajj/me143/1_Introduction_Tires_WM2D/1_4_2_Exercise_2.pdf

2 questions:
1. How can I undersdant that I should sum up the angular velocity(w) of both bodies into one w, so that the the disk itself has the total w? why the disk doesn't have just w2?
2. Why the solution for contains reference of Vc, but the addition of relative velocity is from E to D, and not from C to D?

Thanks,
Dor

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a long time since I did this but...

dorratz said:
1. How can I undersdant that I should sum up the angular velocity(w) of both bodies into one w, so that the the disk itself has the total w? why the disk doesn't have just w2?

It's because you have one rotating disc mounted on another rotating disc. Suppose you stand at the north pole and turn around slowly with respect to planet earth. Then your angular velocity relative to the sun is equal to..

w1 + w2 + w3
where
w1 is your angular velocity relative to the earth.
w2 is the angular velocity of the Earth relative to the sun (approximately 360 degrees per day)
w3 is the angular velocity of the Earth as it orbits the sun (approximately 360 degrees per year)

dorratz said:
2. Why the solution for contains reference of Vc...

The velocity of D with respect to B = (Velocity of C with respect to B) + (Velocity of D with respect to C)

where "+" means vector addition

.. but the addition of relative velocity is from E to D, and not from C to D?

Points E and C are on the same axis. So the velocity of E relative to B is the same as the velocity of C relative to B.

Hi,
The first answer is understoood.
As for the second question, I don't undersdand, because although the two points are on same axis, they aren't on the same cooardinate, so the distance vector between them and point B is different, so the vector product of angular velocity and distance vector will be different.

What matters is that they are the same distance from the axis of rotation (0.15m).

If you connect a motor to one end of a cylindrical shaft and rotate it at say 10rpm then all points on the surface of the shaft rotate at the same velocity regardless of how far along the shaft they are. The radius of the shaft affects the velocity of a point not position along it's length.

There is probably better way to explain this mathematically but I'm afraid very rusty.

Thanks a lot

If there is anyone who knows how to explain it mathematically I would thank him, cause by the formal math it should be different.

$$ | DE \times CE | = | DE |\ |CE | \\ | DC \times CE | = | DC |\ |CE | \sin(\angle DCE) = | DC |\ |CE |\ { |DE|\over |DC| } = | DE |\ |CE | \quad \rm ?$$and of course both are in the z-direction.

1. What is a rigid rotor in kinematics?

A rigid rotor is an object that maintains a constant shape and orientation while rotating around a fixed axis.

2. How is the kinematics of a rigid rotor described?

The kinematics of a rigid rotor is described using angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the moment of inertia and torque.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of a rigid rotor?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, affects the speed and direction of a rigid rotor's rotation. A higher moment of inertia will result in a slower rotation, while a lower moment of inertia will result in a faster rotation.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion in a rigid rotor?

Linear motion refers to an object moving in a straight line, while angular motion refers to an object rotating around an axis. In a rigid rotor, both linear and angular motion may occur simultaneously, as the object rotates around a fixed axis while also moving linearly in a certain direction.

5. How is the velocity of a point on a rigid rotor related to its distance from the axis of rotation?

The velocity of a point on a rigid rotor is directly proportional to its distance from the axis of rotation. This means that the farther a point is from the axis, the faster its linear velocity will be. This relationship is described by the equation v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis, and ω is the angular velocity.