Two disks -- An educational problem

• A
  • Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, the conversation discusses a pure kinematic problem involving two rotating disks connected by a rigid bridge and hinges. The problem is to find the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the right disk in a given configuration. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the system moving in the vicinity of the shown position and the configuration space of the system. It is noted that for the special case where the radii of the disks are equal, the solution for the angular velocity of the right disk may have two possible values depending on the direction of rotation.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Let me share an educational problem which I learned from my friend Prof. M. Kirsanov. Perhaps somebody finds it interesting to discuss it with students. I do.
The problem is pure kinematic.

Assume we have two disks which can rotate about their fixed centers ##A,C,\quad |AC|=b##. The radii of the disks are ##R,r,\quad R>r## respectively. The discks are connected by a rigid bridge ##BFGD## and ##B,D## are the hinges placed on the rims of the disks. At one moment the system has the position that is shown at the picture ; the angular velocity and the angular acceleration of the left disk are given: ##\omega,\varepsilon##.
Find angular velocity and angular acceleration of the right disk at this moment.

Can the system move in the vicinity of shown position? What is configuration space of this system? What if ##r=R##?

Attachments

• diski.png
    diski.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM, Lnewqban, Abhishek11235 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Is connected by rigid bridge BFGD is same with connected by rigid rod BD in considering the motion ?

yes

wrobel said:
What if ##r=R##?
Then it's like linked locomotive wheels going at the same rate.

• Informative
Likes anuttarasammyak and BvU
Ooo okay, I try the first part, but I maybe screw it up. Since$$\left(\frac{d}{dt}\right)_{t=t_0} \mathbf{BD} = (\omega_2 r - \omega R) \mathbf{e}_y$$and$$\left( \frac{d^2}{dt^2}\right)_{t=t_0} \mathbf{BD} = (\varepsilon_2 r - \varepsilon R) \mathbf{e}_y - (\omega_2^2 r - \omega^2 R) \mathbf{e}_x$$Point D constrained to perform circular motion about point B, i.e. ##\frac{d}{dt}|\mathbf{BD}| = 0##, so we have$$ (\omega_2^2 r - \omega^2 R) = (b+r-R)\left( \frac{\omega_2 r - \omega R}{b+r-R} \right)^2$$or in other words that$$\omega_2^2 r(b-R) + 2 \omega r R \omega_2 - \omega^2 R(b+r) = 0$$so in that case

$$\begin{align*}

\omega_{2,\pm} = \frac{-2 \omega r R \pm \sqrt{4 \omega^2 r^2 R^2 + 4R r \omega^2 (b-R)(b+r)}}{2r(b-R)} &= \left[ \frac{-r R \pm \sqrt{Rrb \rho}}{r(b-R)} \right] \omega

\end{align*}$$where ##\rho = |BD| = b + r - R##.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have written formulas just for the case
ω≠0, ρ=b+r−R>0, ##R>r##
my result is
$$\omega_*=\omega p_\pm,\quad \varepsilon_*=\varepsilon p_\pm,\quad p_\pm=\frac{Rr\pm\sqrt{R\rho br}}{r(R-r)}$$

Let us take xy coordinate for moving points
[tex]B=(R\cos\theta,R\sin\theta)[/tex]
[tex]D=(b+r \cos\phi, r \sin\phi)[/tex]
BD^2 is constant
[tex](b-R+r)^2=(R\cos\theta-b-r \cos\phi)^2+(R\sin\theta-r \sin\phi)^2[/tex]
[tex]bR(1-\cos\theta)-br(1-\cos\phi)+Rr(1-\cos(\theta-\phi))=0...(1)[/tex]
Taking time derivative
[tex]bR\sin\theta\dot{\theta}-br\sin\phi\dot{\phi}+Rr\sin(\theta-\phi)(\dot{\theta}-\dot{\phi})=0...(2)[/tex]
Taking time derivative again
[tex]bR\sin\theta\ddot{\theta}-br\sin\phi\ddot{\phi}+Rr\sin(\theta-\phi)(\ddot{\theta}-\ddot{\phi})
+bR\cos\theta\dot{\theta}^2-br\cos\phi\dot{\phi}^2+Rr\cos(\theta-\phi)(\dot{\theta}-\dot{\phi})^2=0...(3)[/tex]
These three equations show constraints on angle, angular velocity and angular acceleration.

For ##\theta=\phi=0## , (3) becomes
[tex]bR\dot{\theta}^2-br\dot{\phi}^2+Rr(\dot{\theta}-\dot{\phi})^2=0[/tex]
quadratic equation of ##\dot{\phi}## with ##\dot{\theta}## given. The solution is
[tex]\dot{\phi}=\dot{\theta}[ \frac{\pm\sqrt{\frac{b\rho}{Rr}}-1}{\frac{b}{R}-1}][/tex]
where
[tex]\rho=b-R+r[/tex]
As ##\frac{b\rho}{Rr}>1##, + solution: ortho, - solution: reverse rotation.

Ref. post #4 in the special case of ##R=r##,##\rho=b## and
+ solution
[tex]\dot{\phi}_+=\dot{\theta}[/tex]
like locomotive wheels.
- solution
[tex]\dot{\phi}_-=-\dot{\theta}\frac{\frac{b}{R}+1}{\frac{b}{R}-1}[/tex]EDIT as suggested by @wrobel in post #8, time derivative of (3) after making ##\theta=\phi=0## is
[tex]bR\dot{\theta}\ddot{\theta}-br\dot{\phi}\ddot{\phi}+Rr(\dot{\theta}-\dot{\phi})(\ddot{\theta}-\ddot{\phi})=0[/tex]
It would give the solution ##\ddot{\phi}_{\pm}## with ##\dot{\theta}, \ddot{\theta}, \dot{\phi}_{\pm}## provided,

[tex]\frac{\ddot{\phi}}{\ddot{\theta}}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{b}{R}}
(-1+\frac{\frac{\frac{b}{r}\frac{b}{R}+\frac{b}{r}+\frac{b}{R}}{1+\frac{b}{R}}}{\frac{\dot{\phi}}{\dot{\theta}}-\frac{1}{1+\frac{b}{R}}}).[/tex]

Using the previous result,
[tex]\frac{\ddot{\phi}_\pm}{\ddot{\theta}}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{b}{R}}
(-1+\frac{\frac{\frac{b}{r}\frac{b}{R}+\frac{b}{r}+\frac{b}{R}}{1+\frac{b}{R}}}{[ \frac{\pm\sqrt{\frac{b\rho}{Rr}}-1}{\frac{b}{R}-1}]-\frac{1}{1+\frac{b}{R}}}).[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
anuttarasammyak said:
et us take xy coordinate for moving points
my argument was the same but
anuttarasammyak said:
These three equations
there are no three equations: for ##\theta=\phi=0## (2) vanishes and we have to calculate ##\frac{d^3}{dt^3}##

A.T. said:
Then it's like linked locomotive wheels going at the same rate.
for ##R>r## there are two solutions. I am not sure that for ##R=r## the solution is unique

the function ##f(\phi,\theta)=|BD|^2## has a saddle point at ##\phi=\theta=0##.
The equation ##f=\rho^2## gives two intersecting curves in the plane ##(\phi,\theta)##.
That is the point:)

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak and etotheipi
wrobel said:
I am not sure that for ##R=r## the solution is unique
It's not. The wheels can go in the same or opposite directions. But I think they will have the same speed in both cases.

in my formulas the expression ##(R-r)## must be replaced with ##(R-b)##
Pardon

Likes etotheipi
I realized that in my initial expression I let ##b = |BD|##, whilst it is actually defined ##b = |AC|##. So I corrected that now in my post #5, and get the same as wrobel 😀

Using notation of my post #7 the range of angles are
##\theta[-\theta_0,+\theta_0]## for R ##\geq## r
which satisfy law of sines
[tex]\frac{\sin\theta_0}{\rho+r}=\frac{\sin(\pi-\phi_0)}{R}=\frac{\sin(\phi_0-\theta_0)}{b}[/tex]
where
[tex]\rho=b-R+r[/tex]

Figure attached. Thanks @wrobel.

Attachments

• 2disks.jpg
    2disks.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Isn't this simply the classic four bar linkage routinely studied in Theory of Machines?

haruspex said:
Consider the wheels almost touching. If the RH wheel rotates anticlockwise though some angle, moving D to D', then a circle radius BD centred on D' will intersect the LH wheel rim in two places, but both will be above the line BD.
I see one intersection above and one below. But they have different distances to BD, so for opposite rotation the speeds are not the same all the time. For same rotation direction the speeds are the same.

A.T. said:
I see one intersection above and one below. But they have different distances to BD, so for opposite rotation the speeds are not the same all the time. For same rotation direction the speeds are the same.
You are right, my mistake.

troisbarres%20ext%201.gif

• Love
  • Wow
Likes dRic2, Charles Link, pervect and 7 others
Dazzling. But how about
wrobel said:
rigid bridge BFGD

BvU said:
Dazzling. But how about

rigid bridge BFGD
The BFGD bridge is not shown in the aninmation by @Lnewqban, but it is rigid. All you need is BD to have constant length.

Likes BvU
Oops, of course. Total goof ! o:)

1. What is the "Two disks" educational problem?

The "Two disks" educational problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves two disks of different sizes placed on a flat surface. The objective of the problem is to determine the smallest number of moves needed to switch the positions of the two disks, with the restriction that a smaller disk can never be placed on top of a larger disk.

2. What skills does solving this problem help develop?

Solving the "Two disks" educational problem can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning skills. It also requires the use of mathematical concepts such as size comparison and logical reasoning.

3. Can this problem be solved using a specific algorithm?

Yes, the "Two disks" educational problem can be solved using the Tower of Hanoi algorithm, which is a well-known recursive algorithm specifically designed for this type of problem. However, there are also other approaches that can be used to solve this problem.

4. Is this problem suitable for all ages and levels of education?

Yes, the "Two disks" educational problem can be adapted for different age groups and educational levels. For younger children, simpler versions of the problem can be used, while more complex versions can be used for older students or as a challenge for advanced learners.

5. How can this problem be used in the classroom?

The "Two disks" educational problem can be used as a fun and engaging activity in math classes, logic classes, or even as a team-building exercise. It can also be used as a brain teaser or a warm-up activity to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills.