1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about linear algebra

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]A \in M_n(F)[/itex] and [itex]v \in F^n[/itex]. Let k be the smallest positive integer such that [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^kv[/itex] are linearly dependent.
    a) Show that we can find [itex]a_0, ... , a_{k-1} \in F[/itex] wiht

[itex]a_0v + a_1Av + ... + a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0[/itex]

(note that teh coefficient of A^kv is 1). Write

f(x) = x^k + a_{k-1}x^{k-1} + ... + a_0.

Note that f(A)(v)=0.

b) Show that f is a monic polynomial of lowest degree with f(A)(v)=0.

I tried to answer these questions, but I'm not sure if my answers are correct...can anybody please check them for me?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Since k be the smallest positive integer such that [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^kv[/itex] are linearly dependent, we know that [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^{k-1}v[/itex] is linearly independent. So, for [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ..., A^kv[/itex], we know that for any linear combination of these elements, there exists a coefficient that is nonzero (when the whole equation is zero)...In other words:

[itex]b_0v + b_1Av + ... + b_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + b_kA^kv = 0[/itex] for b_0, ... , b_k not all zero.

Now if we divide the whole equation by b_k, we get

[itex] \frac{b_0}{b_k} v + \frac{b_1}{b_k} Av + ... + \frac{b_{k-1}}{b_k} A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0[/itex].

If we denote [itex] \frac{b_m}{b_k}[/itex] by [itex]a_m[/itex] (where m is between zero and k), we get...

[itex]a_0v + a_1Av + ... + a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0[/itex]

Now to show that f(A)(v)=0 ...

[itex]f(A)(v) = (A^k + a_{k-1}A^{k-1} + ... + a_0v)(v) = a_0v + a_1Av + ... + a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0[/itex]

b) [itex]f(A) = f(A)(v) = (A^k + a_{k-1}A^{k-1} + ... + a_0v)(v) = a_0v + a_1Av + ... + a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0 [/itex]

Can anybody check if I'm right? I'm also not sure if I understood the questions correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For part (a), you should explain why you know that [itex]b_k[/itex] is nonzero, so you can divide by it.

For part (b), you have shown that f(A)(v) = 0. Obviously f is monic. Why is it a lowest degree polynomial with f(A)(v) = 0, i.e. why can't this be true for a lower degree polynomial?

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    For part a), [itex]b_k[/itex] is nonzero, because [itex]v, Av, ... , A^kv [/itex] is linearly dependent...so when the equation is zero, not all of the coefficients are zero...

For part b), this cannot be true for a polynomial of a lower degree, because [itex]v, Av, ... ,A^kv[/itex] is the smallest k such that [itex]v, Av, ... ,A^kv[/itex] is linearly dependent. So if we had [itex]v, Av, ... ,A^{k-1}v[/itex], then the basis would b independent, so all the coefficients would need to equal zero when f(A)(v) = 0. So the function wouldn't be monic anymore.

Do you think my answers are correct?

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They're not all zero, but some of them could be. How do you know that [itex]b_k[/itex] in particular is not zero?

Yes, correct.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    Because I know that the rest is the linearly independent basis. The extra one is [itex]b_kvA^k[/itex]

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6

Thanks a lot.

I also have two other questions, if you don't mind...

1) Let [itex]V=Span(v, Av, A^2v, ... , A^{k-1}v )[/itex]. Show that V is the smallest A-invariant subspace containing v. We denote this fact by writing

V=F[x]v

This corresponds to the F[x]-module structure on [itex]F^n[/itex] induced by multiplication by A.

2) Show that [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ... , A^{k-1}v [/itex] is a basis, B, for V.

My answers:

1) We know that V is T-invariant because,

[itex]T_A(v) = Av = vx_1 + Avx_2 + ... + A^{k-1}x_k \in V[/itex]

since [itex]Av = vx_1 + Avx_2 + ... + A^{k-1}x_k[/itex] is a linear combination of the span of V.

We know that it is the smallest one, because if [itex]V = Span (v, Av, ... ,A^{k-2}v)[/itex], for example, then not all of [itex]A^wv[/itex] (w in F) would be a linear combination of [itex](v, Av, ... , A^{k-2}v)[/itex] (we also know that [itex](v, Av, ... , A^{k-2}v)[/itex] is a non-square matrix, so it cannot be a basis), since we know from the first question that I asked that [itex](v, Av, ... , A^{k-1}v)[/itex] is a basis for F.

2) Since [itex]V=Span(v, Av, A^2v, ... , A^{k-1}v )[/itex], we know that [itex][v|Av|...|A^{k-1}v][/itex] has a pivot position in every row. We also know that it is a square matrix, from the very first question that I asked...so it must also have a pivot position in every column. Thus, it is one-to-one and onto...and must be a basis for V.

Do you think my answers are correct?

Thanks in advance

8. Oct 4, 2012 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does [itex]k[/itex] still have the same meaning as in the first problem? i.e. it's the smallest power such that [itex]v,Av,A^2v,\ldots,A^{k-1}v,A^{k}v[/itex] are linearly dependent? I will assume so, because the statement isn't necessarily true for an arbitrary [itex]k[/itex].

This doesn't seem quite right. An arbitrary element of [itex]V[/itex] can be written as follows:
    [tex]v = vx_1 + Avx_2 + \ldots + A^{k-1}vx_k[/tex]
    Therefore
    [tex]Av = Avx_1 + A^2vx_2 + \ldots + A^{k-1}vx_{k-1} + A^{k}vx_k[/tex]
    Now you have to use the fact that [itex]A^{k}v[/itex] is a linear combination of [itex]v,Av,A^2v,\ldots,A^{k-1}v[/itex].

OK, that's one particular subspace with lower dimension than [itex]V[/itex]. But you need to prove that NO subspace with lower dimension than [itex]V[/itex] can be an [itex]A[/itex]-invariant subspace containing [itex]v[/itex]. Hint: to do this, you need to show that any such subspace must contain all of the vectors [itex]v, Av, ... ,A^{k-1}v[/itex].

I don't think you need to talk about rows and columns here. A basis is a linearly independent set of vectors which spans the space. Well, by definition, [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ... , A^{k-1}v[/itex] spans [itex]V[/itex], so all you need is that this is a linearly independent set. But that's also given, isn't it?

9. Oct 4, 2012 #8
    Yes it does have the same meaning.

So, can I answer it like this:

From the very first question that I asked, we know that the equation [itex]a_0v + a_1Av + ... + a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v + A^kv = 0[/itex] is true. So

[itex]A^kv = -a_0v - a_1Av - ... - a_{k-1}A^{k-1}v [/itex]

So if we let [itex]y_m = -a_m[/itex] for m = 0, 1, ... , k-1,

[itex]A^kv = y_0v + y_1Av + ... + y_{k-1}A^{k-1}v [/itex]

From here, we can see that any [itex]A^kv[/itex] can be written as a linear combination of [itex] v, Av, ..., A^{k-1}v [/itex]. Since V is spanned by these elements, then [itex]A^kv[/itex] is alo in V. So V is A-invariant.

So if we look at this equation again:

[itex]A^kv = y_0v + y_1Av + ... + y_{k-1}A^{k-1}v [/itex], we will see that [itex]A^kv[/itex] can be written as the linear combination of [itex]v, Av, ... , A^{k-1}[/itex]. Since [itex]v, Av, ... ,A^{k-1}[/itex] is linearly independent, we know that we cannot write [itex]A^kv[/itex] as a linear combination of these elements if we take any of them away. So, V must be the smallest.

Yes it is given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook