A Question about p-adic numbers

• Thread starter pablis79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of congruence in the ring of p-adic integers. It is defined as x=y (mod pZp) when x-y is in the ideal generated by p. It is also mentioned that this notation can be extended to p=infinity in the case of Qp and R.
pablis79
Hi all,

If Zp is the ring of p-adic integers, what does the notation a = b (mod pZp) mean ? I understand congruence in Zp, i.e., a = b (mod p) implies a = b +zp, where z is in Zp (and a, b in Zp). However, I don't get what is meant by (mod pZp) ... does this mean a = b (mod p^k) for all k >= 1 ?

Thanks,
P

Physics news on Phys.org
The p-adic numbers can be written in the form

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{+\infty}{a_ip^i}[/tex]

for [itex]0\leq a_i\leq p-1[/itex].

The ideal [itex]p\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] is the ideal generated by p. It contains elements like

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{+\infty}{a_ip^i}[/tex]

Now, we say that [itex]x=y~(mod~p\mathbb{Z}_p)[/itex] if [itex]x-y\in p\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex].

Ok, thanks micromass. So put another way it means that x and y are congruent modulo p in Zp.

Cheers!

have another question , if [tex] p \rightarrow infty [/tex] , how can you prove that the infinite prime [tex] p= \infty [/tex] is just the hole of the Real numbers ??

zetafunction said:
have another question , if [tex] p \rightarrow infty [/tex] , how can you prove that the infinite prime [tex] p= \infty [/tex] is just the hole of the Real numbers ??
As phrased, this question makes no sense.

I suspect what you're asking is, "Why do people say that [itex]\mathbb Q_p = \mathbb R[/itex] when [itex]p=\infty[/itex]?" This is more a matter of convention (and convenience) than anything. There is no "let p -> infinity" going on. What is going on is that Q has several absolute values: up to equivalence, these are the p-adic absolute values (|.|_p) and the usual absolute value (|.|). One then completes Q at these absolute values to obtain the fields Q_p and R, respectively. One says "Q_p is the completion at of Q at p". Then there are good reasons to think of the usual absolute value as coming from an "infinite" prime, and to say that "R is the completion of Q at the infinite prime".

1. What are p-adic numbers?

P-adic numbers are a type of number system that was introduced by mathematician Kurt Hensel in 1897. They are an extension of the rational numbers, and are characterized by their unique metric structure. They are often used in number theory, algebraic geometry, and other areas of mathematics.

2. How are p-adic numbers different from real numbers?

P-adic numbers differ from real numbers in several ways. First, they use a different base, called p, instead of the base 10 used in real numbers. Additionally, while real numbers have a decimal expansion that can go on infinitely, p-adic numbers have a p-adic expansion that can also go on infinitely, but in a different way. P-adic numbers also have a different metric structure, which affects how they are added, subtracted, and multiplied.

3. What are some applications of p-adic numbers?

P-adic numbers have several applications in mathematics, including in number theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory. They are also used in physics and computer science, particularly in the study of p-adic quantum mechanics and p-adic algorithms. P-adic numbers also have practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.

4. Are p-adic numbers important?

Yes, p-adic numbers are important in mathematics and have many applications in various fields. They help us understand and solve problems in number theory, algebraic geometry, and other areas. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, computer science, cryptography, and coding theory.

5. Are p-adic numbers difficult to understand?

P-adic numbers can be challenging to understand at first, especially for those who are not familiar with abstract algebra or number theory. However, with proper explanations and examples, they can become more approachable and easier to understand. It also helps to have a solid understanding of real numbers and their properties before delving into p-adic numbers.