A question I have about my L.A. textbook (2)

• I
  • Thread starter StoneTemplePython
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the textbook suggests finding a polynomial that approximates a given function and integrating that instead.
StoneTemplePython
Science Advisor
Gold Member
gibberingmouther said:
The other question I have is about deriving a polynomial to approximate a function. The example given is the function sin((pi * x^2)/ 2). The textbook says you can't integrate that (I don't remember that much calculus), so it shows finding a polynomial that approximates it and integrating that instead.

The text shows finding: f(0)=0, f(.25)=.098017, f(.5)=.382683, f(.75)=.77301, f(1)=1

Then it somehow uses linear algebra (matrices representing a system of equations or something?) to find the approximating polynomial p(x)=.098796x + .762356x^2 + 2.14429x^3 - 2.00544x^4

Could someone show how to do this?

your second question seems like an excellent introduction to Vandermonde Matrices. I wouldn't recommend solving this 5x5 matrix by hand. With some cleverness you can get it down to a 4x4 matrix but still a lot of work to do by hand. A good computer exercise. It would be worth learning to derive the determinant formula for Vandermonde Matrix though.

(You can see its effect in your first question but sketching the equation and solving it the 'regular way' seems preferable for intuition I think.)

The big idea is that a degree ##n## single variable polynomial (that isn't identically zero) is completely specified by ##n+1## distinct data points.

Physics news on Phys.org
@gibberingmouther

it looks like mods bipartitioned your thread with my response specifically into this one. Happy to discuss here. If you want to do polynomial interpolation with standard linear algebra tools, you need to spend some time learning the Vandermonde Matrix. Most introductory texts will mention it (perhaps not by name) and suggest it is useful though not really tell you why.

It's quite flexible for an awful lot of proofs and 'real problems'.

Likes gibberingmouther
Okay, I think I'm done for today. I'll probably post again tomorrow. I need to understand how my textbook treats "polynomial interpolation" as well as this new info about the "Vandermonde Matrix". Thanks for your time, I will be on this tomorrow.

sounds good. A sneak preview:

##
\mathbf{Ac} = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & a_1 & a_1^2 & a_1^3 & a_1^4\\
1 & a_2 & a_2^2 & a_2^3 & a_2^4\\
1 & a_3 & a_3^2 & a_3^3 & a_3^4\\
1 & a_4 & a_4^2 & a_4^3 & a_4^4\\
1 & a_5 & a_5^2 & a_5^3 & a_5^4
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
c_0\\
c_1\\
c_2\\
c_3\\
c_4\\
\end{bmatrix} = \mathbf y
####\mathbf A## is a Vandermonde matrix. It has a lot of special 'patterns' that can be exploited.

Last edited:
gibberingmouther said:
Can someone explain where the column of 1's comes from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now.

These two sites explained it pretty well, though you need to look at both.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Numerical_Analysis/Vandermonde_example

https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~dwharder/NumericalAnalysis/05Interpolation/vandermonde/

How are you coming on Vandermonde matrices ? I'd strongly suggest working through the Vandermonde Determinant. Happy to discuss here. For what it's worth it is the only closed form determinant formula that I know by heart. You should be able to see its direct effects in the denominantors of your polynomial interpolation problems.

- - - -
You may be surprised to learn that I had in mind Vandermonde matrices to solve this recent project euler problem posting

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/coin-sum-problem.948292/

there is some very nice intermixing between matrices and computer science, if you know where to look...

Likes gibberingmouther
StoneTemplePython said:
How are you coming on Vandermonde matrices ? I'd strongly suggest working through the Vandermonde Determinant. Happy to discuss here. For what it's worth it is the only closed form determinant formula that I know by heart. You should be able to see its direct effects in the denominantors of your polynomial interpolation problems.

- - - -
You may be surprised to learn that I had in mind Vandermonde matrices to solve this recent project euler problem posting

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/coin-sum-problem.948292/

there is some very nice intermixing between matrices and computer science, if you know where to look...

Thanks for the link, that looks like an interesting problem! I now feel like I understand how to use the Vandermonde matrix set up to approximate a given equation, as was done in my linear textbook. The two links I posted helped me put the pieces together.

1. How do I use my L.A. textbook effectively?

To use your L.A. textbook effectively, start by skimming through the table of contents to get an overview of the topics covered. Then, read each chapter carefully and take notes. Practice the exercises and review the key concepts. Finally, use the index to quickly find specific information when needed.

2. Is there a digital version of the L.A. textbook available?

Many L.A. textbooks now have digital versions available for purchase or access. Check with your teacher or textbook publisher to see if there is a digital version available for your specific textbook. You may also be able to find online resources and study guides that can supplement your textbook.

3. How can I improve my reading comprehension using the L.A. textbook?

To improve your reading comprehension, try using active reading strategies such as summarizing, asking questions, and making connections to your own experiences. Take breaks while reading to reflect on what you have read and make note of any confusing or important points. Practice these strategies while reading your L.A. textbook to enhance your understanding.

4. Are there any helpful resources or study guides that go along with the L.A. textbook?

Yes, there are many helpful resources and study guides available that can supplement your L.A. textbook. These may include practice exercises, additional reading materials, and online resources. Check with your teacher or textbook publisher for recommended resources that align with your textbook.

5. How can I make the most out of my L.A. textbook?

To make the most out of your L.A. textbook, try to actively engage with the material by taking notes, practicing exercises, and asking questions. Use the index and table of contents to quickly find information and review key concepts regularly. Additionally, try to apply what you have learned to real-life situations to solidify your understanding.