A question in communication systems and signals

In summary, the attached question involves finding the base frequency of a triangular wave with odd harmonics at 700KHz, 2100KHz, and 3500KHz. However, after considering all possible combinations of adding and subtracting these harmonics, it is concluded that the base frequency will not be anywhere near 50KHz or 210KHz. Additionally, the presence of two band pass filters in series at 50KHz and 210KHz means that none of the odd harmonics at 700KHz would pass through the filter's pass band of 175KHz to 225KHz. Therefore, there will be no output from the filter.
Shloa4
Hello.
I have problem approaching the attached question and understanding how to solve it. I desperately need some help here. :confused:
Thanks! :smile:

Attachments

• A question in communication systems and signals.pdf
    111.7 KB · Views: 284
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked up the Fourier series of triangular wave, it looks like it contain only odd harmonics:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSeriesTriangleWave.html

The first 3 components are 700KHz, 2100KHz, 3500KHz. First check f1 +/- f2 will not get to anywhere close. 2f1 +/- f2 will give DC in one case and over 700KHz in other...So I don't think the is any adding or subtracting will get the base frequency down at 50KHz or 210KHz. The reason I don't think so only because you can have all the permutations of summing and subtracting of harmonics and my head spin from thinking about it. I just did f1 +/- f2 and 2f1 +/- f2 and you can do the rest if you like!

The other clue is there are two band pass filter in series, one at 50KHz and the other at 210KHz. they filter out each other's pass frequency!

So my guess is nothing comes out!

Last edited:
The filter has a pass band from 175 KHz to 225 KHz.

So which odd harmonic of 700 KHz will pass through this band?

None of them would

vk6kro said:
The filter has a pass band from 175 KHz to 225 KHz.

So which odd harmonic of 700 KHz will pass through this band?

None of them would

Yeh, you are right, there is no mixing of the frequency, so there is no 2f1 - f2 stuffs at all. I corrected my post.

Hello, I am a scientist who specializes in communication systems and signals. Can you please provide more information about the attached question so I can better understand the problem and provide assistance? Also, can you clarify what specific concepts or equations you are struggling with? I would be happy to help you understand and solve the problem.

1. What is communication systems and signals?

Communication systems and signals refer to the methods and techniques used to transmit and receive information between two or more parties. This can include various forms of communication such as verbal, written, and non-verbal signals.

2. How do communication systems work?

Communication systems work by encoding information into a signal, transmitting it through a channel, and decoding it at the receiving end. This process involves various components such as transmitters, receivers, and amplifiers.

3. What are the types of signals used in communication systems?

The types of signals used in communication systems can be classified into analog and digital signals. Analog signals are continuous and can take on any value, while digital signals are discrete and can only take on specific values.

4. How is noise handled in communication systems?

Noise refers to any unwanted interference or distortion in a signal during transmission. Communication systems use various techniques such as error correction and filtering to reduce the impact of noise on the signal and ensure accurate communication.

5. What are the applications of communication systems and signals?

Communication systems and signals have a wide range of applications in various industries, including telecommunications, broadcasting, and networking. They are also used in everyday communication tools such as phones, radios, and the internet.