A Question in Voltage in a Circuit

In summary, bibo_dvd says that if R6 were equal to 0Ω then you could indeed say V7=E/R7. However, because R6 is in the way, E=(the voltage across R7) + (the voltage across R6). NasOxy is correct. I think you need to back off to a simpler example and fully understand it first. Then the problem will make sense. There is a wikipedia page for "voltage divider" you should read and understand. For the simple voltage divider (R1 in series with R2) you calculate the total current I through R1+R2 and then the voltage across R2 is I*R2.
bibo_dvd
hello guys !

iam new at this forum and i have a question :))

nsY5ej1.png

MJGJgkK.png

The quesion is : why can't i calculate V7 from Ohm's Law So V7=E/R7
and it will be equal to 72/9=8V

Please answer me and thank you guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bibo_dvd said:
The quesion is : why can't i calculate V7 from Ohm's Law So V7=E/R7
Hi bibo_dvd. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

If R6 were equal to 0Ω then you could indeed say V7=E/R7

Ohms Law requires E to be the voltage across R. You can't consider a voltage from just anywhere and divide it by any resistance you choose. E must be the exact voltage across exactly that R. In your circuit, R6 is in the way, meaning that

E = (the voltage across R7) + (the voltage across R6).

Last edited by a moderator:
NasOxy is correct.
I think you need to back off to a simpler example and fully understand it first. Then the problem will make sense.
There is a wikipedia page for "voltage divider" you should read and understand. For the simple voltage divider (R1 in series with R2) you calculate the total current I through R1+R2 and then the voltage across R2 is I*R2.

Look up "Kirchoff's voltage law"...google it.

For random example, If you have one voltage source of say 100 volts and just one resistor, then and only then does the entire 100 volts goes across that one resistor.

If you have same voltage source and say 2 resistors of equal value, then 50 volts will go across each of them...adding up to 100 volts.

If you have same voltage source and have 2 resistors of different value say, 10 ohms and 20 ohms, then the voltage will divide across the resitors with a ratio.

100 volts X (10/(10+20))...so you will get 33.33 volts across the 10 ohm...and 66.66 across the 20 ohm.

To work the problem above, you simply combine the two 9 ohms in parallel and you get 4.5 ohms.
Then use voltage divider above...

72 X (4.5/(4.5+12) = 19.6 volts across that branch or 4.36 ma using V=IR which agrees with answer above.
Now that you know the 19.6 across that branch, spread the resistors out back to there originial shape...two 9 ohm resistors.

Using ohms law again, you can now check the currents again. The two branches should add up to the 4.36 ma.
19.6/ 9 ohms = 2.18 ma a piece...yes, checks out according to Kirchoffs Current law (also look up in google)

Last edited:

Hello! Thank you for your question. It is important to understand that Ohm's Law (V=IR) applies to individual resistors in a circuit, not to the entire circuit as a whole. Therefore, you cannot use Ohm's Law to directly calculate the voltage at a specific point in the circuit, such as V7.

To calculate the voltage at V7, you would need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that same loop. In other words, the voltage at V7 would depend on the voltage sources and other resistors in the circuit, not just R7.

I hope this helps answer your question. Feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Happy experimenting!

What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another.

How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of an electric circuit. Voltage is the potential energy that drives the flow of electric charges, while current is the actual flow of electric charges through the circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is the volt (V). Other common units include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

How can voltage be changed in a circuit?

Voltage can be changed in a circuit by adjusting the power source, adding or removing components, or changing the resistance of the circuit. It can also be changed by connecting multiple power sources in series or parallel.

What is the relationship between voltage and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is directly proportional to resistance in a circuit. This means that as resistance increases, voltage also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.