1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on Complex stuff

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    i remmember my teacher mentioned that when we have a matrix with a parameter
    and i am asked to find for which values there are infinite number of answers
    no answer or a single answer

she said that if the space is defined as C then we must carry on
    and split into complex numbers

i cant find a question that makes that

can you give me an example to work on??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't figure out what you're asking.

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I doubt your teacher said that, exactly! I suspect that your teacher was talking about a matrix equation, like Ax= b where A depends on a parameter. If the determinant of A is non-zero, remember, A has an inverse so multiplying by that inverse on both sides of the equation gives A-1Ax= x= A-1b, a single solution.

If the determinant of A is 0, however, either of two things can happen. If the determinant of A is 0, then the kernel of A has dimension greater than 0 and so the dimension of the image A is less than the dimension of the space. If b happens to lie in the image of A, then there will be an infinite number of solutions. If b is not in the image of A, then there is no solution.

If the vector space is over the complex numbers (not "defined as C") then the entries in the vectors b and x, as well as A can be complex numbers. She may have said that you can split them into real and imaginary parts but surely not "split into complex numbers".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?