Crab Nebula Pulsar: Angular Acceleration Explained

In summary, a pulsar is a rapidly rotating neutron star that emits a radio beam and has a period of rotation of T=0.033s. The period can be found by measuring the time between pulses and the pulsar in the Crab nebula has an increasing period of 1.26 x 10^-5 s/y. The pulsar's angular acceleration is not relevant to this problem as the rate of change of the period is very slow and the angular speed remains constant during one revolution. The orientation of the magnetic poles may occasionally cause us to receive two pulses per revolution, but this is not significant in this context. The equation T=2pi/w can be used to calculate the period when the angular speed is constant.
Skomatth
A pulsar is a rapidly rotating neutron star that emits a radio beam the way a lighthouse emits a light beam. We receive a radio pulse for each rotation of the star. The period T of rotation is found by measuring the time between pulses. The pulsar in the Crab nebula has a period of rotation of T=.033s that is increasing at the rate of 1.26 x 10^-5 s/y

a)What is the pulsar's angular acceleration?
I know that T=2pi/w when omega is constant. Does it make sense to that that T(t)=2pi/w(t) ? If this is correct then I can get the answer, but even if it is correct I'm not sure why it works.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't do the math. Just remember that the beams are emitted from the magnetic poles of the star, so you can expect that once in a while the orientation will be such that we receive two pulses per revolution. I don't know if any currently known ones are like that, though.

Judging by the context of the problem this is irrelevant.

Skomatth said:
I know that T=2pi/w when omega is constant. Does it make sense to that that T(t)=2pi/w(t) ?
Makes sense to me. Note that the rate of change of the period is so slow that for all practical purposes the angular speed hardly changes during one revolution.

1. What is the Crab Nebula Pulsar?

The Crab Nebula Pulsar is a rapidly rotating neutron star located in the center of the Crab Nebula, a supernova remnant in the constellation of Taurus. It was first observed in 1968 and is one of the most studied pulsars in the sky.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. In other words, it measures how quickly an object's rotation is changing. This can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity over a certain time period.

3. How does the Crab Nebula Pulsar experience angular acceleration?

The Crab Nebula Pulsar experiences angular acceleration due to the strong electromagnetic fields created by its rapid rotation. These fields cause the pulsar to emit powerful beams of radiation along its magnetic poles, which also act as jets, causing the pulsar to spin faster and faster over time.

4. How is angular acceleration measured in the Crab Nebula Pulsar?

Angular acceleration in the Crab Nebula Pulsar can be measured by observing the changes in its rotation over time. This can be done through radio, X-ray, and gamma-ray observations, which can detect the pulsar's emissions and measure its rotation rate.

5. What can scientists learn from studying the angular acceleration of the Crab Nebula Pulsar?

Studying the angular acceleration of the Crab Nebula Pulsar can provide valuable insights into the physics of extreme environments, such as the strong magnetic fields and high energies present in pulsars. It can also help us better understand the processes involved in the formation and evolution of pulsars, as well as the dynamics of supernova explosions.