1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Rotating Pulsar

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    A pulsar is a rapidly rotating neutron star that emits a radio beam the way a lighthouse emits a light beam. We receive a radio pulse for each rotation of the star. The period T of rotation is found by measuring the time between pulses. The pulsar in the Crab nebula has a period of rotation of T=.033s that is increasing at the rate of 1.26 x 10^-5 s/y

a)What is the pulsar's angular acceleration?
    I know that T=2pi/w when omega is constant. Does it make sense to that that T(t)=2pi/w(t) ? If this is correct then I can get the answer, but even if it is correct I'm not sure why it works.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I can't do the math. Just remember that the beams are emitted from the magnetic poles of the star, so you can expect that once in a while the orientation will be such that we receive two pulses per revolution. I don't know if any currently known ones are like that, though.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    Judging by the context of the problem this is irrelevant.

5. Oct 27, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Makes sense to me. Note that the rate of change of the period is so slow that for all practical purposes the angular speed hardly changes during one revolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?