A spaceship launched from a space station was moving with a speed 0.6c

In summary, a spaceship launched from a space station is moving at a speed of 0.6c in a direction perpendicular to its motion. As it approaches a band of asteroids, it fires a proton gun with a velocity of 0.99c in the y'-direction. The observer on the space station will measure the speed of the protons by using the relativistic velocity transformation equation, which only requires one velocity component. However, the wording of the problem may imply the need for two components.
queenstudy

Homework Statement

A spaceship launched from a space station was moving with a speed 0.6c , with respect to the space station , in a direction perpendicular to its motion , when , a band of asteroids is observed a head of the ship. A proton gun is shut by the spaceship with a speed of 0.99c , in order to destroy it . what speed will an observer in the space station measure for these protons?

Homework Equations

using lorentz transformation of velocity but are there two components or only one ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]
\begin{array}{rcl}
v_x & = & \frac{v'_x + V}{1 + \frac{v'_x \, V}{c^2}} \\

v_y & = & \frac{v'_y \, \sqrt{1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2}}}{1 + \frac{v'_x \, V}{c^2}}
\end{array}
[/tex]

so there are 2 components?
can you give me the solution?

The way I read it, there is only one velocity component. As dickforce pointed out all you need to do is use the relativistic velocity transformation equation to find the speed of the protons from the point of view of an observer on the space station.

tannerbk said:
The way I read it, there is only one velocity component. As dickforce pointed out all you need to do is use the relativistic velocity transformation equation to find the speed of the protons from the point of view of an observer on the space station.

i know but do i use both components because according to the problem , its direction is perpendicular to its motion ?? so i guess we should find ux and uy

to me i saw it that there are two components

What is the speed of the space station? The problem statement implies it's moving, but you haven't said how fast it's going. You can't answer the question without knowing that.

queenstudy said:
A spaceship launched from a space station was moving with a speed 0.6c , with respect to the space station , in a direction perpendicular to its motion , when , a band of asteroids is observed a head of the ship. A proton gun is shut by the spaceship with a speed of 0.99c , in order to destroy it . what speed will an observer in the space station measure for these protons?
The wording seems a bit obscure, especially the part about 'in a direction perpendicular to its motion'. It's not clear what that statement refers to.

Let's say that the spaceship is launched along the x-axis of the space station. Are the protons fired in the x' direction or the y' direction, in the frame of the spaceship? (Solve it both ways.)

Doc AL , you are right the english language is weak , but let me tell you how i understood the question in the exam:
the photon gun is shooting in the y-axis while the ship is moving in the x-axis i don't know that's why i asked lol

Doc Al said:
The wording seems a bit obscure, especially the part about 'in a direction perpendicular to its motion'. It's not clear what that statement refers to.

Let's say that the spaceship is launched along the x-axis of the space station. Are the protons fired in the x' direction or the y' direction, in the frame of the spaceship? (Solve it both ways.)

Dc AL , thank you for your time
i know that is how it was written in the exam , word by word, my heart is telling me there is only one direction , but that sentence you pointed out is what made change my mind

queenstudy said:
i know that is how it was written in the exam , word by word, my heart is telling me there is only one direction , but that sentence you pointed out is what made change my mind
Are you sure that that is a word for word statement of the problem and not just your recollection?

In any case, if I had to guess what was meant I would guess as you did: The spaceship moves along the x-direction and the protons are fired along the y'-direction. That's the interpretation that makes the most sense and gives the most interesting problem.

Doc Al said:
Are you sure that that is a word for word statement of the problem and not just your recollection?

In any case, if I had to guess what was meant I would guess as you did: The spaceship moves along the x-direction and the protons are fired along the y'-direction. That's the interpretation that makes the most sense and gives the most interesting problem.

so in this case we will need to find two components , i see thank you very much
and yes i wrote it as it is , the english language is weak i know

1. What is the significance of a spaceship moving at 0.6c?

A spaceship moving at 0.6c means that it is traveling at 60% of the speed of light, which is an incredibly high speed. This would allow the spaceship to cover vast distances in a relatively short amount of time.

2. How does the speed of the spaceship affect its journey?

The speed of the spaceship greatly affects its journey as it determines how long it will take to reach its destination. The higher the speed, the shorter the journey time will be. Also, at such high speeds, the spaceship may experience time dilation, where time passes slower for the astronauts on board compared to those on Earth.

3. How is the speed of the spaceship measured?

The speed of the spaceship can be measured using various methods, such as radar or by calculating the distance traveled over a certain time period. However, at such high speeds, the laws of physics can become more complex, and special relativity equations may need to be used to accurately measure the speed.

4. What are the potential dangers of traveling at such high speeds?

Traveling at high speeds can pose several dangers, including the risk of collisions with debris or other objects in space. Additionally, as mentioned before, time dilation can occur, which may have adverse effects on the astronauts' health and well-being.

5. Is it possible for a spaceship to travel at speeds faster than 0.6c?

At this point in time, it is not possible for a spaceship to travel at speeds faster than the speed of light, which is 1c. The speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit, and it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach or surpass it. However, scientists continue to research and explore ways to travel at faster speeds in the future.