A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of discovering a galactic wall larger than the Sloan Great Wall, as well as the structures that may exist beyond the galactic filaments and walls. The conversation also touches on the beliefs of cosmologists, physicists, and mathematicians regarding the infinite nature of the universe, with the majority being uninterested or unsure due to a lack of data. The topic of using mathematics to explore these issues is also mentioned.
Petradog
Does anyone believe, given new measurements from the SDSS, that we will discover a galactic wall that exceeds the size of the Sloan Great Wall?

Also, what is larger than the galactic filaments connecting to form the walls?

Can somebody please provide the proper topology of what the universe should look like at scales ten times the largest of supercluster-made sheets, walls, voids, ect...?

And if you can provide these hypothetical structures, do you suppose they'll make filaments and walls too? ad infinitum?

Are there voids between these "new" galactic larger walls? What do you think? What would it look like if you zoomed out and saw everything at once?

Space news on Phys.org
Petradog said:
Does anyone believe, given new measurements from the SDSS, that we will discover a galactic wall that exceeds the size of the Sloan Great Wall?
Why not? The SDSS doesn't even cover half the sky, so there's definitely a lot of room to discover a larger structure.

As for the rest, those questions aren't so easily answered. And I have to go in a few minutes, so I'll leave this post at that.

What is the percentage of cosmologists, physicists, and mathematicians that believe the universe is truly infinite?

Petradog said:
What is the percentage of cosmologists, physicists, and mathematicians that believe the universe is truly infinite?
I'm not sure anybody's done that study. And I can't even given any impressions as it's not one of those things that physicists or cosmologists actually talk about much (I haven't hung out with mathematicians in a long time). My guess would be a relatively small percentage, as there is just insufficient data to make such a determination.

Working physicists (which includes cosmologists) tend to be completely uninterested in such questions, as there really is no way to resolve them with current information, or even with the sort of information we know we will be able to obtain in the future. A small subset of theorists (and sometimes philosophers) get into debates such as these. I'm not aware of mathematicians that do, but I suppose it's possible. But these people are a minority: most just do not think such questions have any relevance at all.

Thank you for answering my question.

Mathematics may not be a fully sufficient tool to explore such issues.

What is "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall"?

"A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" is a massive cosmic structure that was discovered in 2016 by a team of scientists. It is estimated to be about 10 billion light years across and is considered one of the largest known structures in the universe.

How was "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" discovered?

"A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" was discovered using data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, a project that maps the three-dimensional structure of the universe. This structure was identified by analyzing the velocities and positions of galaxies in a specific region of the sky.

What is the significance of "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall"?

"A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" is significant because it challenges our understanding of the universe's large-scale structure. It also provides valuable insights into the formation and evolution of cosmic structures and could help us better understand the distribution of matter in the universe.

How does "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" compare to the Great Wall of Sloan?

The Great Wall of Sloan, also known as the Great Wall, is a cosmic structure that was discovered in 2003. It is estimated to be about 1.37 billion light years across. "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" is approximately 10 times larger in size, making it one of the largest known structures in the universe.

What are the implications of "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of "A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall" has significant implications for our understanding of the universe's large-scale structure and could potentially lead to new theories and models. It also highlights the vastness and complexity of the universe, reminding us of how much we still have to learn about our surroundings.