Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Structure Larger than the Sloan Great Wall?

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    Does anyone believe, given new measurements from the SDSS, that we will discover a galactic wall that exceeds the size of the Sloan Great Wall?

Also, what is larger than the galactic filaments connecting to form the walls?

Can somebody please provide the proper topology of what the universe should look like at scales ten times the largest of supercluster-made sheets, walls, voids, ect...?

And if you can provide these hypothetical structures, do you suppose they'll make filaments and walls too? ad infinitum?

Are there voids between these "new" galactic larger walls? What do you think? What would it look like if you zoomed out and saw everything at once?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Why not? The SDSS doesn't even cover half the sky, so there's definitely a lot of room to discover a larger structure.

As for the rest, those questions aren't so easily answered. And I have to go in a few minutes, so I'll leave this post at that.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    What is the percentage of cosmologists, physicists, and mathematicians that believe the universe is truely infinite?

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I'm not sure anybody's done that study. And I can't even given any impressions as it's not one of those things that physicists or cosmologists actually talk about much (I haven't hung out with mathematicians in a long time). My guess would be a relatively small percentage, as there is just insufficient data to make such a determination.

Working physicists (which includes cosmologists) tend to be completely uninterested in such questions, as there really is no way to resolve them with current information, or even with the sort of information we know we will be able to obtain in the future. A small subset of theorists (and sometimes philosophers) get into debates such as these. I'm not aware of mathematicians that do, but I suppose it's possible. But these people are a minority: most just do not think such questions have any relevance at all.

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5
    Thank you for answering my question.

7. Feb 27, 2009 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematics may not be a fully sufficient tool to explore such issues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook