1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A subspace spanned by polynomials 1 and x

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. Let W be the linear subspace spanned by the polynomials 1 and x. Find an orthogonal projection of the polynomial p(x) = 1+x^2 to W. Find a basis in the space W(perp)

My problem is that I don't know how to represent W as a matrix so that I could apply the orthogonal projection formula.

Would it simply be [1, x] or [1 ; x]?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{1,x} is certainly a basis for W. But to define orthogonal you need to say what the inner product is.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. Dec 21, 2009 #3
    Remember, the dot product (or inner product) should be equal to 0 if they are orthogonal.

5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    If the inner product is given by: <p(x),q(x)> = integral (p(x)*q(x), x, 0, 1), how would i go about solving this problem?

(This is not my homework by the way, I'm studying for my final exam which is tomorrow, but I just can't figure out this problem.)

Thank you.

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a*1+b*x is a point in W that is the orthogonal projection, you want that <(1+x^2)-(a*1+b*x),1>=0 and <(1+x^2)-(a*1+b*x),x>=0. That would say that the difference between (1+x^2) and (a*1+b*x) is perpendicular to all of the vectors in W which is the span of {1,x}, wouldn't it? It's just two linear equations in the unknowns a and b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?