A tree and a mirror on the ground

In summary, the problem involves a plane mirror placed flat on the ground, with one end 2.1 m from the viewer and the other end 35 m from a tree. The viewer is 1.6 m tall and can see the top of the tree at one edge of the mirror. The task is to determine the height of the tree using the principle of similar triangles. A figure and hints are provided in the homework statement.
sklotz

Homework Statement

A plane mirror made of a very thin piece of glass lies flat on the ground. As shown in the following figure, one end of the mirror is 2.1 m from you and the other end is 35 m from a nearby tree. You are 1.6 m tall, and the mirror has a length L. The mirror is arranged so that you can just see the image of the top of the tree at one edge of the mirror. how tall is the tree?

Homework Equations

I know you have to use the principle of similar triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using height of person/distance of person from mirror = height of tree/distance of tree from mirror . This is similar to a problem our TA did in class and I thought I was using the correct formula, however, I have been unable to get the correct answer and I don't understand what I am doing wrong and only have one attempt left for credit

Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance you could show the figure?

What edge does he see the top of the tree? the edge that is closer to the man, or the edge that is closer to the tree?

I believe you answer will be in terms of L. Unless L has a value?

A figure and some hints are given on the second page of this file:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jensend/media/pdf/phys221/homework/hints10.pdf

But note the numbers in the problem are different.

1. What is the significance of a tree and a mirror on the ground?

The placement of a tree and a mirror on the ground can have various meanings depending on the context. In scientific terms, it can represent the reflection and reproduction of nature, as the tree symbolizes growth and life while the mirror symbolizes reflection and perception.

2. How can a tree and a mirror on the ground affect the environment?

The presence of a tree and a mirror on the ground can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. The tree can provide shade and oxygen, while the mirror can reflect light and heat. However, if not properly disposed of, the mirror can also be harmful to the environment as it may contain toxic substances.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for the reflection of a tree in a mirror on the ground?

Yes, the reflection of a tree in a mirror on the ground can be explained by the laws of optics and the properties of light. When light hits a smooth and flat surface, such as a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle it hits the surface. This creates a virtual image of the tree in the mirror.

4. Can a tree and a mirror on the ground be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, a tree and a mirror on the ground can be used for various scientific experiments. For example, a mirror on the ground can be used to study the effects of light and heat on plant growth, while a tree can be used to observe the reflection and refraction of light. Additionally, the combination of a tree and a mirror can be used to demonstrate the principles of optics.

5. How can a tree and a mirror on the ground inspire creativity and artistic expression?

The juxtaposition of a tree and a mirror on the ground can evoke different emotions and ideas, leading to creative and artistic expression. It can symbolize the contrast between nature and human-made objects, or represent the duality of reality and perception. Many artists have used the imagery of a tree and a mirror on the ground in their works to convey deeper meanings and messages.