A typical 12v batter can deliver about 7.5 x 10^5 C

• Thread starter atoreta88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    12v
In summary, the problem is calculating the maximum amount of water that can be boiled into steam using the energy from a typical 12v battery, which can deliver 7.5 x 10^5 C of charge. To solve this, we need to use the formula E=qv and determine the amount of Joules needed to raise 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree Celsius. However, since the question is asking for the amount of water that can be boiled from 100 degrees Celsius to steam at 100 degrees Celsius, we need to use the Latent heat of vaporization of water. Upon researching, we find that for 100 degrees Celsius, the latent heat is 2260 kj/kg. Therefore, to answer
atoreta88
PROBLEM: A typical 12v battery can deliver about 7.5 x 10^5 C of charge before dying. This is not very much. To get a feel for this calculate the maximum number of kilograms of water (100 degrees celsius) that could be boiled into steam (100degrees celsius) using energy from this battery.

I think I'm supposed to use the formula, E= qv, but I don't know what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using E=qv, your energy will be in units of Joules. How many Joules does it take to raise 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celcius?

Edit: Oops. After re-reading the question, I see that the intent is to bring liquid water from 100C to vapor at 100C. For this, look up Latent heat of vaporization of water.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Using E=qv, your energy will be in units of Joules. How many Joules does it take to raise 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celcius?

Edit: Oops. After re-reading the question, I see that the intent is to bring liquid water from 100C to vapor at 100C. For this, look up Latent heat of vaporization of water.

Thanks for responding. So all I have to do is look up that value for the latent heat of vaporization and that would be my final answer...I don't have to use any formula to calculate anything? I looked up the value and for 100 degrees C, the latent heat is 2260 kj/kg...would that be all?

Read the question carefully, then:-

So what you've got, is that you need 2260kJ of energy to change each kg of boiling water into steam.

How many joules of energy do you have available in the battery?

How does that help you answer the question that was asked.

I would approach this problem by first converting the charge delivered by the battery, 7.5 x 10^5 C, into energy using the formula E= qv. In this case, the voltage (v) is given as 12V, so the energy delivered by the battery would be 9 x 10^6 J (joules).

Next, I would use the specific heat capacity of water, which is 4.186 J/g°C, to calculate the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water from 100°C to its boiling point of 100°C. This would be 418.6 kJ (kilojoules).

Since the energy delivered by the battery is 9 x 10^6 J, we can divide this by the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water to determine the maximum number of kilograms of water that can be boiled. This would be approximately 21.5 kg of water (9 x 10^6 J / 418.6 kJ = 21.5 kg).

Therefore, using energy from this typical 12V battery, we can boil approximately 21.5 kg of water into steam. This may not seem like a lot, but it is important to keep in mind that a battery's main function is to provide electrical energy, not thermal energy. There are other sources of energy that are more efficient for heating water, such as a stove or a water heater.

What is the meaning of "12v" in relation to a battery?

The term "12v" refers to the voltage of the battery, which is a measure of the potential energy difference between the positive and negative terminals. It indicates the amount of electrical force that can be used to power a device or circuit.

What does it mean for a battery to be able to deliver "7.5 x 10^5 C"?

The unit "C" stands for coulombs, which is a unit of electric charge. A battery that can deliver 7.5 x 10^5 C means that it has the capacity to transfer that amount of electric charge from one terminal to the other. This can be thought of as the amount of electrons that can flow through the battery.

Is "7.5 x 10^5 C" a standard capacity for a 12v battery?

No, the capacity of a battery can vary depending on its size, type, and manufacturer. "7.5 x 10^5 C" is just an example value that is commonly used to represent the capacity of a typical 12v battery.

How long can a 12v battery deliver a current of "7.5 x 10^5 C"?

The length of time that a battery can deliver a current of "7.5 x 10^5 C" depends on the rate at which the charge is being used. A higher current will drain the battery faster, while a lower current will allow the battery to last longer.

What happens if a 12v battery delivers more or less than "7.5 x 10^5 C"?

If a battery delivers more than "7.5 x 10^5 C", it means that it has a larger capacity and can provide more energy to power a device. If it delivers less, it may not be able to power a device for as long or as efficiently. It is important to use a battery with a suitable capacity for the intended purpose.