1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tyre on a shaft

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1
    A tyre on a shaft with a moment of inertia of 34kg m is initially running at 600rpm. It is brought to rest in 18 complete revolutions by a braking torque; reversed, and accelerated in the opposite direction by a driving torque of 675Nm. The friction couple throughout Is 160Nm.
    Find the braking torque required on the tyre to stop the shaft:
    The only formula I can find is Braking torque= total inertia x RPM / constant x stopping time( which I don't know)?
    I should be expecting an answer of 423
    Secondly, the revolutions turned through in attaining full speed again?
    All equations refer to time not by the amount of rotations
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Louis, :welcome:

This is clearly homework and as such should be posted in the homework forum, where there is a most useful template waiting to be filled in.
    In exchange for your effort: the formulas for angular motion with constant angular acceleration are analog to those for linear motion with constant acceleration. So ##\tau = I\alpha## and ##\alpha = {\Delta \omega\over \Delta t}## (not times delta t !).
    You don't know ##\Delta t## but you do know it takes 18 revolutions...

4. Mar 14, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are direct equivalents between the equations for linear and rotational motion. For example compare..

Linear case...
    Force = mass * acceleration

Rotational case..
    Torque = Moment of inertia * angular acceleration

If you are familiar with the equations of motion (eg SUVAT for constant acceleration) then you can convert those to their rotational equivalents. It's almost as simple as changing the units. eg using angular velocity (radians/sec) in place of linear velocity (meters/second). Likewise for angular displacement (Rads), angular acceleration (rads/S^2) etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted