1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A unique volume problem

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isnt really a homework question but I was wondering if the equation I wrote makes any sense. Basically if you have a function f(x) from x=a to x=b and rotate it around a circle with radius a. At first the height of f(x) is at full height but when its at 2pi radians it has height zero, and as result must decrease at every change in dtheta.

The radius a is not necessarly equal to the a in the interval [a,b] for the function f(x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used a double integral as shown below:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi }\int_{x=a}^{x=b}(\frac{1}{2}a^{2}(f(x)-\frac{f(x)\theta}{2\pi }))dxd\theta [/tex]

does this make any sense?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you mean you are rotating the graph of the function, but about what center?

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    I was rotating the graph throughout the circle so the width of the function is the length of the radius, and its being rotated in a circular motion from zero radians to 2pi radians.

The easiest way I can explain what I'm doing is if I have a 2x4 rectangle sticking out of the circle base, and at zero radians it will have width 2 and a height of 4, then at pi/2 radians it will have a width of 2 and a height of 3 and so on till its is at 2pi, when it has a height of zero and width of 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook