Is My Double Integral Formula for Rotating a Function Around a Circle Correct?

• Thread starter viciousp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for rotating a function around a circle with radius a. The equation involves a double integral and the function's height decreases as the angle increases from 0 to 2pi radians. The conversation also clarifies that the radius a is not necessarily equal to the a in the function's interval [a,b].
viciousp

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question but I was wondering if the equation I wrote makes any sense. Basically if you have a function f(x) from x=a to x=b and rotate it around a circle with radius a. At first the height of f(x) is at full height but when its at 2pi radians it has height zero, and as result must decrease at every change in dtheta.

The radius a is not necessarly equal to the a in the interval [a,b] for the function f(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a double integral as shown below:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi }\int_{x=a}^{x=b}(\frac{1}{2}a^{2}(f(x)-\frac{f(x)\theta}{2\pi }))dxd\theta [/tex]does this make any sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
viciousp said:

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question but I was wondering if the equation I wrote makes any sense. Basically if you have a function f(x) from x=a to x=b and rotate it around a circle with radius a.
I assume you mean you are rotating the graph of the function, but about what center?

At first the height of f(x) is at full height but when its at 2pi radians it has height zero, and as result must decrease at every change in dtheta.

The radius a is not necessarly equal to the a in the interval [a,b] for the function f(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a double integral as shown below:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi }\int_{x=a}^{x=b}(\frac{1}{2}a^{2}(f(x)-\frac{f(x)\theta}{2\pi }))dxd\theta [/tex]

does this make any sense?

I was rotating the graph throughout the circle so the width of the function is the length of the radius, and its being rotated in a circular motion from zero radians to 2pi radians.

The easiest way I can explain what I'm doing is if I have a 2x4 rectangle sticking out of the circle base, and at zero radians it will have width 2 and a height of 4, then at pi/2 radians it will have a width of 2 and a height of 3 and so on till its is at 2pi, when it has a height of zero and width of 2.

Related to Is My Double Integral Formula for Rotating a Function Around a Circle Correct?

1. What is a unique volume problem?

A unique volume problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of an irregular or unusual shape. This can be a challenging problem because the shape may not have a well-defined formula for calculating its volume.

2. How is a unique volume problem different from a regular volume problem?

A regular volume problem involves finding the volume of a standard shape, such as a cube or sphere, where there is a known formula for calculating the volume. A unique volume problem, on the other hand, involves finding the volume of an irregular or unusual shape where a specific formula may not exist.

3. What are some strategies for solving a unique volume problem?

One strategy for solving a unique volume problem is to break the shape into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve using known formulas for calculating the volume of simpler shapes and then combining them to find the total volume. Another strategy is to use geometry or calculus principles to derive a formula for the specific shape.

4. Can computer software be used to solve unique volume problems?

Yes, computer software can be used to solve unique volume problems. Many 3D modeling and CAD software have built-in tools for calculating the volume of irregular shapes. There are also online calculators and apps specifically designed for solving unique volume problems.

5. Why are unique volume problems important in science?

Unique volume problems are important in science because they allow scientists to accurately calculate the volume of complex shapes, which can be crucial for various applications. For example, in architecture, knowing the volume of irregular buildings is essential for determining materials and costs. In medicine, calculating the volume of organs or tumors can aid in diagnosing and treating diseases.