A variation on a classic problem

• Thread starter Elroch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, it was found that the sum of the squares 1^2 up to 48^2 is 1 short of a perfect square, and it was speculated that this might be a theorem. It was also discovered that there are adjacent pairs of numbers where the sum is n^2 short of a perfect square.
Elroch
Most number theorists will be familiar with the result conjectured in the 19th century and proved in the 20th century that the only square pyramidal numbers that are square numbers are 1 and 4900 (the sum of the squares from 1^2 to 24^2 = 70^2).

While discussing this, it was pointed out to me that the sum of the squares 1^2 up to 48^2 is 1 short of a perfect square. A little investigation found the same was true of the sum up to 47^2, but I did not find any other small examples.

This seems intriguing, especially as 48 is double 24. My best guess is that someone must have noticed this 100 years ago, but I have not confirmed this.

The question is are there any solutions of the diophantine equation:

1^2 + 2^2 + ... N^2 = M^2 - 1

other than N=47 and N=48?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elroch said:
Most number theorists will be familiar with the result conjectured in the 19th century and proved in the 20th century that the only square pyramidal numbers that are square numbers are 1 and 4900 (the sum of the squares from 1^2 to 24^2 = 70^2).

While discussing this, it was pointed out to me that the sum of the squares 1^2 up to 48^2 is 1 short of a perfect square. A little investigation found the same was true of the sum up to 47^2, but I did not find any other small examples.

What about 1 more than a perfect square (N=2)? Or 4 short (N=7,N=9,N=191,N=192,N=994)?
Wouldn't they be considered 'small' examples?

Well, they are small answers, but to different questions!

Call S(n) = 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2 for convenience.

The question as posted was looking for natural numbers n and m such that

S(n) + 1 = m^2

I have as yet failed to find any solutions other than the first two.

I did find a nice sequence of examples of adjacent pairs of numbers where the sum is n^2 short of a perfect square. Some of these are in your examples:

Look at n = 48*k^2 and 48*k^2-1

What I wonder is whether the lack of other solutions to the original problem is a theorem, and whether this is related to the old cannonball problem, where the sum has to be an exact square (and the only solutions are N=1 and N=24).

1. What is the "classic problem" that this variation is based on?

The "classic problem" in question is the well-known Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP), which involves finding the shortest possible route that visits a set of given locations exactly once and returns to the starting point.

2. What makes this variation different from the original TSP?

This variation introduces a new constraint to the TSP, such as a limited budget for traveling or a maximum number of locations that can be visited. This adds an additional layer of complexity and challenge to the problem.

3. How do scientists and researchers approach this variation on the TSP?

Scientists and researchers use various techniques and algorithms, such as heuristic methods, genetic algorithms, and ant colony optimization, to solve this variation. They also conduct experiments and simulations to compare the performance of different approaches.

4. What are the real-world applications of this variation on the TSP?

This variation has practical applications in various fields, including logistics, transportation, and telecommunications. It can be used to optimize routes for delivery trucks, plan efficient travel itineraries, and design communication networks.

5. Are there any limitations to solving this variation on the TSP?

Yes, this variation on the TSP is a NP-hard problem, meaning that it is extremely difficult to solve for larger instances. As a result, algorithms may not always find the optimal solution, and approximations or heuristics may be used instead.