A very simple U-sub is wrecking my brain

• Thread starter jinksys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the homework equation is u=16-x^2, du=-2xdx, and bounds are u=12 lower=16. When solving the problem, use a trig substitution and adjust the limits of integration if needed.
jinksys

Homework Statement

Integral Sqrt[16-x^2]*x dx from 0 to 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I do is a u-sub, so

u=16-x^2

du=-2xdx

I also my bounds change to upper=12 lower=16.

After I integrate and swap out my U, I get

-1/3*(16-x^2)^(3/2) from 16 to 12.

Am I using the wrong method?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably a stupid question, but why did you change the limits of integration?

Umm, this is actually a trig-substitution problem (which I guess is a class of u-substitution).

Try thinking of it in those terms.

Have you thought of trying a trig substitution?

Nabeshin said:
Umm, this is actually a trig-substitution problem (which I guess is a class of u-substitution).

Try thinking of it in those terms.

You sure it's necessary? I get an answer that matches my calculator without incorporating any trig.

EDIT: Oh.

You could do the problem using a u substitution, it's just easier to use the trig substitution.

I actually missed the *x in the problem the first glance through, but I still would go with trig substitution. Necessary, maybe not.

Are my bounds incorrect? I thought you had to adjust your bounds when using a usub.

You adjust if you keep the equation in terms of u, but if you substitute back in for x after integration, you retain the original x boundaries. Seems you substituted back into x and changed the boundaries, which doesn't work.

Nabeshin said:
You adjust if you keep the equation in terms of u, but if you substitute back in for x after integration, you retain the original x boundaries. Seems you substituted back into x and changed the boundaries, which doesn't work.

This clears up a lot. Thanks. I got the correct answer now!

That is one reason why it is a good idea to write the variable in the limits of integration:
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^2 \sqrt{16- x^2} xdx[/tex]
after the substitution [itex]u= 16- x^2[/itex] becomes
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\int_{u=16}^{12}u^{1/2}du[/tex]

1. What is a U-sub?

A U-sub is a mathematical technique used to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable for the original one.

2. How does a U-sub work?

A U-sub works by choosing a new variable that will make the integral easier to solve, then using the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.

3. Why is a U-sub causing difficulty?

A U-sub can be difficult because it requires a good understanding of the chain rule and choosing the right substitution can be challenging.

4. Can you provide an example of a U-sub?

For example, if we have the integral of 2x(cos(x^2))dx, we can let u = x^2 and rewrite the integral as 2(cos(u))du, which is easier to solve.

5. Are there any tips for mastering U-subs?

Some tips for mastering U-subs include practicing with different types of integrals, understanding how to choose the right substitution, and being familiar with the chain rule and its applications.