A very theoretical approach to diff eq

In summary, There is a difference between diff eq and real analysis, with diff eq being more focused on applications. A theoretical approach to diff eq may involve proving existence and uniqueness theorems, using real analysis as a tool. The Heine-Borel and Bolzano-Weierstrauss theorems are more related to real analysis but may also be helpful in understanding diff eq. Some recommended books for a theoretical approach to diff eq are "The Elements of Real Analysis" by Bartle and "Mathematical Analysis" by Apostol, as well as V I Arnold's book on differential equations.
stgermaine
Hi. I'm taking diff eq course this semester and the text is the latest Boyce DiPrima diff eq with boundary value problems.

The first test is mostly proofs on theorems about continuity, like the Heine-Borel theorem, Bolzano-Weierstrauss theorem, etc. The book doesn't go into much details about those theorems and I have problem understanding from just researching online.

Is there a book that takes a more theoretical approach to diff eq without being too dense? I don't have a very strong base in calc, as it's been three years since taking calc III and haven't found the time to review during the summer.

Edit: I found that the Heine and Bolzano theorems are filed under 'real analysis theorems' so I think getting a intro real analysis book may help. Am I correct in understanding that diff eq is similar to real analysis but with more emphasis on application?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Diff eq and real analysis are two quite different courses. Real analysis is basically just calculus, but more rigorous. It won't deal much with differential equations typically. It might cover things like Heine-Borel and other stuff.

On the other hand, we have differential equations. A theoretical course in diff eq will likely consist out of proving various existence and uniqueness theorems. Real analysis is used as a tool to prove these things.

The theorems you mention are indeed real analysis, and not so much diff eq. A book which might be helpful is "The Elements of Real Analysis" by Bartle or "Mathematical Analysis" by Apostol.

It's very strange that Boyce and DiPrima (:gag:) would be the text.

You can try V I Arnold's book on differential equations, along with an analysis book.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a theoretical approach to solving differential equations?

A theoretical approach involves using mathematical techniques to solve differential equations without the use of numerical methods. This often involves finding an exact solution or using analytical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What is the importance of studying differential equations from a theoretical perspective?

Studying differential equations from a theoretical perspective allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts. It also enables the development of new techniques and methods for solving differential equations, which can be applied to real-world problems.

4. How does a theoretical approach to differential equations differ from a practical approach?

A theoretical approach focuses on the mathematical properties and solutions of differential equations, while a practical approach involves using numerical methods to approximate solutions. Theoretical approaches often yield exact solutions, while practical approaches may introduce errors and approximations.

5. What are some common techniques used in a theoretical approach to solving differential equations?

Some common techniques used in a theoretical approach include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve manipulating the differential equation algebraically to arrive at an exact solution or an approximate solution in the form of a series or integral.