A video intro to General Relativity

In summary: I especially appreciate the links to other videos and resources. It's a great way to dive into complex topics like cosmology and quantum field theory. In summary, the conversation discusses a website that offers lectures on advanced physics topics, including cosmology and quantum field theory. The conversation also includes links to other resources and a discussion about the difficulty level of the lectures.
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, very nice. I still haven't done the homework, though. :rolleyes:

I'd love to have a whole course on video. All the lectures for the famous Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs at MIT are available for download, for example.

That is good stuff. Thanks. :approve:

There's some more videos on that site from previous years. Some neat stuff.

Is the web down?cant seem to get in

ok i take back what i said the website is not down:blushing:
well...i watched the 1st video but really don't understand anything he's talking about...hmm is there any intro to this intro?:mad:

semc said:
ok i take back what i said the website is not down:blushing:
well...i watched the 1st video but really don't understand anything he's talking about...hmm is there any intro to this intro?:mad:

If you're talking about the beginning, he's just writing down all the equations he's going to talk about for the next 3 hours. So the first 16 minutes may be pretty hard to follow.

However, the talks were aimed at particle physicists. You'll need to know SR and have had some exposure to index notation to follow the lectures. That's also why he starts talking about massless, spin-2 particles, to connect up with things familiar to them. Other than these brief asides on QFT, it's not important to understand any QFT to follow most of the lectures, though.

Last edited:
it is all right!

Phew...i looked at those and got scared, i thought they throw you into the deep end like that :eek: , evil physics lectureres lol :-p

Good Stuff

This is some good stuff!

Related to A video intro to General Relativity

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects curve the fabric of space-time, causing objects to move along curved paths.

Why is General Relativity important?

General Relativity is important because it is the most accurate theory we have for describing how gravity works on a large scale. It has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of objects in the universe.

What are the main principles of General Relativity?

The main principles of General Relativity are the equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration, and the principle of general covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all frames of reference.

How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General Relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in several key ways. Newton's theory treats gravity as a force acting between two objects, while General Relativity describes it as a curvature of space-time. Additionally, General Relativity can account for the effects of gravity on light and the bending of light around massive objects, while Newton's theory cannot.

What are some real-world applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications, including in the field of GPS technology. The satellites used for GPS rely on accurate time measurements, and the precise clocks on board these satellites are affected by the curvature of space-time predicted by General Relativity. Additionally, General Relativity has been used to accurately predict the motion of planets and other objects in the universe, and has been essential in understanding the behavior of black holes.