Help With 15.15 & 15.16: A Capacitor + Resistor Circuit

In summary, Cathy asks for help with a problem involving a circuit with a capacitor, resistor, microammeter, switch, and battery. She asks for assistance with finding the p.d. across the capacitor, resistor, the current, and charge on the capacitor plates when the switch is first closed, and when steady conditions have been reached. She also asks how long it would take for the capacitor to become fully charged if it continued to charge at its initial rate. In a follow-up conversation, Cathy asks for clarification on the relationships between resistance, current, and voltage, as well as the function and capacitance of a capacitor.
CathyLou
Hi.

I've no idea how to answer the following questions. Could someone please help? I'd really appreciate it.

15.15 A capacitor is joined in series with a resistor, a low resistance microammeter, a switch and a 12 V battery.

(a) When the switch is first closed, what is

(i) the p.d. across the capacitor

(ii) the p.d. across the resistor

(iii) the current

(iv) the charge on each of the capacitor plates?

(b) Calculate also the same quantities when the switch has been closed for some time so that steady conditions have been reached.

(c) If the capacitor had continued to charge at its initial rate, how long would it have taken to become fully charged?

15.16 In the previous question, at a certain instant after the switch has been closed the microammeter reads 9.5 μA. Calculate, for this instant

(a) the p.d. across the resistor

(b) the p.d. across the capacitor

(c) the charge on each of the capacitor plates?

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
well no one will help you unless you give us your work and thougts so far.

For (a) (i) I wrote down 12 V, but I'm not sure if this is correct or how to do the next parts.

how did you perform your calculations? What relationsships are there bewteen resistance, current and voltage ? What is the function of a capacitor? What is the capacitors capacitance?

FAQ: Help With 15.15 & 15.16: A Capacitor + Resistor Circuit

1. What is a capacitor and resistor circuit?

A capacitor and resistor circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses both a capacitor and resistor to control the flow of electrical current. The capacitor temporarily stores electrical charge, while the resistor controls the amount of current that passes through the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the total capacitance in a capacitor and resistor circuit?

The total capacitance in a capacitor and resistor circuit can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor in parallel or using the formula: Ctotal = C1 + C2 + C3... for capacitors in series.

3. What is the time constant in a capacitor and resistor circuit?

The time constant in a capacitor and resistor circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance and resistance values together (t = RC).

4. Can a capacitor and resistor circuit be used as a filter?

Yes, a capacitor and resistor circuit can be used as a filter to block certain frequencies of electrical signals. This is known as a low-pass filter, where high frequencies are blocked and low frequencies are allowed to pass through.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with a capacitor and resistor circuit?

To troubleshoot problems with a capacitor and resistor circuit, you can use a multimeter to check for continuity and measure voltage and resistance in different parts of the circuit. You can also visually inspect the components for any damage or loose connections.