Aa = a Implies R is Commutative

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary: R'...a unital ring), then we can also say that ab=-ba for all a in R.The important bit is that you should consider a+b and not a-b as it is simpler. (Although it is entirely equivalent and you prove the same thing: 2x=0 for all x).
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Suppose that R is a ring and that aa = a for all a in R. Show that R is commutative.

The attempt at a solution
Let a and b be two elements from R. I'm having a hard time figuring this out without multiplicative inverses. All I've been able to derive is ab = aabb = abab so aabb - abab = a(ab - ba)b = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need multiplicative inverses. Start with (ab-ba), multiply by b in a few places, then reduce the 'bb' to 'bb=b', and you'll find ab-ba=0.

e(ho0n3 said:
All I've been able to derive is ab = aabb = abab so aabb - abab = a(ab - ba)b = 0.
That means at least one of a, b, or ab-ba is zero. Look at the special cases where a or b is zero (is multiplication by zero commutative?) and then look at the general case where a and b are non-zero.

Thanks for the tip tmc. I got it know.

D H said:
That means at least one of a, b, or ab-ba is zero.
I can't assume that.

e(ho0n3 said:
Thanks for the tip tmc. I got it know.

Now that I've bothered with the algebra, I've realized that I wrote the above prematurely. I have to start with an equation, not just with ab - ba, so I started with ab - ba = -(ba) + ab but this lead nowhere.

You're right, that doesn't work.

Try by contradiction: suppose ba ~= ab, and multiplying by b from either side will not change the inequality (assuming b non-zero; if b is zero, then ab=ba is trivial). You should pretty quickly find a contradiction along the lines of 0 ~= 0

e(ho0n3 said:
D H said:
That means at least one of a, b, or ab-ba is zero
I can't assume that.
Stupid zero divisors!
tmc said:
Try by contradiction: suppose ba ~= ab, and multiplying by b from either side will not change the inequality
Doesn't the same problem with the stupid zero divisors arise here?

What is (a+b)^2? What is (-1)^2 (we may as well assume it is unital)?

The problem with the contradiction is that the algebra with the not-equal sign is not well defined: How do you know a != b implies ab != bb? It is possible for ab = bb but a != b.

matt grime said:
What is (a+b)^2? What is (-1)^2 (we may as well assume it is unital)?
That's a good tip. If I consider a - b = (a - b)(a - b), I get the answer.

Actually, it's quite easy to show that 1=-1 in this ring in many ways, so I'm worried that you're writing a-b in there. With what you wrote you get

a-b=(a-b)^2=a^2+b^2 -ab-ba = a+b -ab-ba

i.e. 0=2b-ab-ba

which is quite a long way from what you need to end up with (though it is still correct, and will lead to a proof).

I wouldn't say I'm a long way from what I need since I end up with ba = a(-b). If I can show that -b = b, I'm done. This unfortunately I don't know how to demonstrate. By the way, you can't assume R has a multiplicative identity.

Then look at (b+b)2= b+ b.

e(ho0n3 said:
I wouldn't say I'm a long way from what I need since I end up with ba = a(-b). If I can show that -b = b, I'm done. This unfortunately I don't know how to demonstrate. By the way, you can't assume R has a multiplicative identity.

Or embed it in its unitalization - the same property of x^2=x will still hold. And you don't end up with that from considering (a=b)^2: where did the 2b go? That was my point about the minus signs, not the ab=-ba fact which comes up if you consider (a+b)^2 instead.

HallsofIvy: Good tip. Thanks.

matt grime: I don't understand your point. Nevertheless, I now have a satisfactory answer. Thanks.

Which bit don't you understand? The important bit is that you should consider a+b and not a-b as it is simpler. (Although it is entirely equivalent and you prove the same thing: 2x=0 for all x). You claimed that by considering a-b you only needed to show that ab=-ba, but in doing so you must have assumed that 2b=0, i.e b=-b.

Right. Using a + b rather than a - b is simpler. I didn't follow your argument about unity and that -1 = 1. I guess you were trying to suggest that -a = a for all a in R.

Any ring can be embedded in a unital ring. If R is a non-unital ring, then define R' as follows.

R' as a set is RxZ (the integers), i.e. ordered pairs (r,n) where r is in R and n an integer. Addition is defined as

(r,n)+(s,m)=(r+s,n+m)

and multiplication

(r,n)(s,m)=(rs+ns+mr,sm).

You can verify that (0,1) is the unit element, and that R is a subring of R' via the elements (r,0). If we now declare that x^2=x for all x in R' (i.e. form a quotient ring), we still have a unital ring with R as a subring with the same property. So wlog you may assume that R has a unit.

Interesting. Thank you for the clarification.

1. What does "Aa = a Implies R is Commutative" mean?

"Aa = a Implies R is Commutative" is a mathematical statement known as the axiom of equality. It states that for any elements A and a in a set R, if A equals a, then R is commutative, meaning that the order of operations does not affect the outcome.

2. How is the axiom of equality used in mathematics?

The axiom of equality is used as a fundamental rule in mathematical proofs and constructions. It allows for the substitution of equal quantities in equations and is essential in establishing the properties of different mathematical operations.

3. What is the significance of the axiom of equality?

The axiom of equality is significant because it provides a foundation for logical reasoning and mathematical operations. Without this axiom, it would be challenging to make deductions and solve complex equations.

4. Are there any exceptions to the axiom of equality?

No, the axiom of equality holds true for all elements in a set R. It is a universally accepted mathematical principle that is applicable in all areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus.

5. How does the axiom of equality relate to other mathematical concepts?

The axiom of equality is closely related to the concept of symmetry. In a commutative operation, the order of elements does not affect the outcome, just like how symmetrical objects can be rotated or reflected without changing their appearance. The axiom of equality also plays a crucial role in establishing other properties, such as associativity and distributivity, in various mathematical operations.