1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aa = a Implies R is Commutative

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that R is a ring and that aa = a for all a in R. Show that R is commutative.

The attempt at a solution
    Let a and b be two elements from R. I'm having a hard time figuring this out without multiplicative inverses. All I've been able to derive is ab = aabb = abab so aabb - abab = a(ab - ba)b = 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

tmc

You don't need multiplicative inverses. Start with (ab-ba), multiply by b in a few places, then reduce the 'bb' to 'bb=b', and you'll find ab-ba=0.

4. Jun 24, 2008 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That means at least one of a, b, or ab-ba is zero. Look at the special cases where a or b is zero (is multiplication by zero commutative?) and then look at the general case where a and b are non-zero.

5. Jun 24, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the tip tmc. I got it know.

6. Jun 24, 2008 #5
    I can't assume that.

7. Jun 24, 2008 #6
    Now that I've bothered with the algebra, I've realized that I wrote the above prematurely. I have to start with an equation, not just with ab - ba, so I started with ab - ba = -(ba) + ab but this lead nowhere.

8. Jun 24, 2008 #7

tmc

You're right, that doesn't work.

Try by contradiction: suppose ba ~= ab, and multiplying by b from either side will not change the inequality (assuming b non-zero; if b is zero, then ab=ba is trivial). You should pretty quickly find a contradiction along the lines of 0 ~= 0

9. Jun 24, 2008 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Stupid zero divisors!
    Doesn't the same problem with the stupid zero divisors arise here?

10. Jun 24, 2008 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is (a+b)^2? What is (-1)^2 (we may as well assume it is unital)?

11. Jun 24, 2008 #10
    The problem with the contradiction is that the algebra with the not-equal sign is not well defined: How do you know a != b implies ab != bb? It is possible for ab = bb but a != b.

12. Jun 24, 2008 #11
    That's a good tip. If I consider a - b = (a - b)(a - b), I get the answer.

13. Jun 24, 2008 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, it's quite easy to show that 1=-1 in this ring in many ways, so I'm worried that you're writing a-b in there. With what you wrote you get

a-b=(a-b)^2=a^2+b^2 -ab-ba = a+b -ab-ba

i.e. 0=2b-ab-ba

which is quite a long way from what you need to end up with (though it is still correct, and will lead to a proof).

14. Jun 24, 2008 #13
    I wouldn't say I'm a long way from what I need since I end up with ba = a(-b). If I can show that -b = b, I'm done. This unfortunately I don't know how to demonstrate. By the way, you can't assume R has a multiplicative identity.

15. Jun 25, 2008 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then look at (b+b)2= b+ b.

16. Jun 25, 2008 #15

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or embed it in its unitalization - the same property of x^2=x will still hold. And you don't end up with that from considering (a=b)^2: where did the 2b go? That was my point about the minus signs, not the ab=-ba fact which comes up if you consider (a+b)^2 instead.

17. Jun 25, 2008 #16
    HallsofIvy: Good tip. Thanks.

matt grime: I don't understand your point. Nevertheless, I now have a satisfactory answer. Thanks.

18. Jun 25, 2008 #17

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which bit don't you understand? The important bit is that you should consider a+b and not a-b as it is simpler. (Although it is entirely equivalent and you prove the same thing: 2x=0 for all x). You claimed that by considering a-b you only needed to show that ab=-ba, but in doing so you must have assumed that 2b=0, i.e b=-b.

19. Jun 25, 2008 #18
    Right. Using a + b rather than a - b is simpler. I didn't follow your argument about unity and that -1 = 1. I guess you were trying to suggest that -a = a for all a in R.

20. Jun 25, 2008 #19

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any ring can be embedded in a unital ring. If R is a non-unital ring, then define R' as follows.

R' as a set is RxZ (the integers), i.e. ordered pairs (r,n) where r is in R and n an integer. Addition is defined as

(r,n)+(s,m)=(r+s,n+m)

and multiplication

(r,n)(s,m)=(rs+ns+mr,sm).

You can verify that (0,1) is the unit element, and that R is a subring of R' via the elements (r,0). If we now declare that x^2=x for all x in R' (i.e. form a quotient ring), we still have a unital ring with R as a subring with the same property. So wlog you may assume that R has a unit.

21. Jun 25, 2008 #20
    Interesting. Thank you for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?