Understanding BH Singularities - Temporal vs Spatial

In summary, the conversation discusses the two types of singularities - temporal and spatial - and how they can be differentiated. The differences between these two types are also mentioned, as well as the concept of a null singularity. Additional resources are provided for further information.
JeffOCA
Hello

I've read that there are two kinds of singularities : temporals and spatial ones. How can we know the kind of a singularity ? What are the differences between spatial and temporal singularities ?

Thanks,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't find any mention to the difference between spatial and temporal singularities. Can you tell me more precisely where you have seen this in the link you give ?

Normally singularities are time-like if the geodesic paths immediate to the singularity are time-like which means time is temporal (i.e. temporary, ever changing) as in Kerr-Newman metric, or the singularity is space-like if the geodesic paths immediate to the singularity are space-like which means that space itself is temporal (i.e. not being able to hover at a specific r) as in Schwarzschild metric. There is also the null singularity (or weak singularity) which is predicted to exist at the Cauchy horizon for the Kerr-Newman solution. This link gives a bit more info-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose–Hawking_singularity_theorems

1. What is a black hole singularity?

A black hole singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of a black hole. It is where the laws of physics as we know them break down and our current understanding of gravity no longer applies.

2. Can we observe a black hole singularity?

No, we cannot directly observe a black hole singularity because it is hidden behind the event horizon of a black hole. However, we can study the effects of the singularity on the surrounding space-time and make predictions about its properties based on mathematical models.

3. What is the difference between temporal and spatial singularities?

A temporal singularity is a point of infinite density that occurs in the past or future of a black hole, while a spatial singularity is a point of infinite density that occurs at the center of a black hole. Temporal singularities are associated with rotating black holes, while spatial singularities are associated with non-rotating black holes.

4. How do black hole singularities form?

Black hole singularities form when a massive star collapses under its own gravity, causing its mass to be compressed into an infinitely small point. This happens when the star runs out of fuel and can no longer support its own weight through fusion reactions.

5. Is there a way to avoid the singularity inside a black hole?

There is currently no known way to avoid the singularity inside a black hole. However, some theories suggest that the singularity may be avoided through the existence of a wormhole or by passing through the singularity into another universe, but these are purely speculative and have not been proven.