Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About BH singularities

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hello

I've read that there are two kinds of singularities : temporals and spatial ones. How can we know the kind of a singularity ? What are the differences between spatial and temporal singularities ?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jul 9, 2010 #3
    I didn't find any mention to the difference between spatial and temporal singularities. Can you tell me more precisely where you have seen this in the link you give ?

5. Jul 10, 2010 #4
    Normally singularities are time-like if the geodesic paths immediate to the singularity are time-like which means time is temporal (i.e. temporary, ever changing) as in Kerr-Newman metric, or the singularity is space-like if the geodesic paths immediate to the singularity are space-like which means that space itself is temporal (i.e. not being able to hover at a specific r) as in Schwarzschild metric. There is also the null singularity (or weak singularity) which is predicted to exist at the Cauchy horizon for the Kerr-Newman solution. This link gives a bit more info-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose–Hawking_singularity_theorems

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook