Gauss Law: Proofs and Electromagnetism Resources

In summary, Gauss' Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law and there is a proof available for all shapes, not just spheres. The book "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths is recommended for further reading. A Gaussian surface can be described as a point charge and the number of electric field lines equals the product of the electric charge and the area of the surface.
Mahmoud Shaban
about gauss law!

is there any precise proof for gauss law?
why ø=q/ε always regardless how the charge is distributed inside the surface
and if anyone know a good book for electromagnetism please type its name for me..
thank u

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths

Every guassian surface can be described as a point charge. Electric field equals firce field lines per area. So the number of field lines equals e times a.

thank u all
SteamKing, although the proof is complicated for me (advanced calculus for my level) , i`m relieved to know at least that there is a precise proof applicable for all shapes not only spheres! so thank u again

jaredvert said:
Every guassian surface can be described as a point charge. Electric field equals firce field lines per area. So the number of field lines equals e times a.

sorry,, i don`t get what you are trying to say..
why would we describe a gaussian surface as apoint charge??

1. What is Gauss Law and why is it important in electromagnetism?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric fields and electric charges in a closed surface. It is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point without having to consider all the individual charges in a system.

2. How is Gauss Law derived and what are its proofs?

Gauss Law can be derived from Maxwell's equations and Coulomb's Law. There are also various mathematical proofs that show how Gauss Law is related to the properties of a closed surface and the distribution of electric charges within it. These proofs involve concepts from vector calculus such as divergence and flux.

3. What are some resources for learning about Gauss Law and its applications?

There are many resources available for learning about Gauss Law and its applications in electromagnetism. Some popular resources include textbooks on electromagnetism, online tutorials and lectures, and interactive simulations. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions offer courses or workshops on electromagnetism that cover Gauss Law in detail.

4. Can Gauss Law be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, Gauss Law has applications in various fields of science such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze electrical systems and devices. Additionally, Gauss Law has been extended to other areas of physics, such as in gravitational fields.

5. Is Gauss Law applicable in all situations involving electric charges?

No, Gauss Law is only applicable in situations where the electric field is constant and the charges are distributed symmetrically. If the electric field is not constant, other laws such as Coulomb's Law must be used. Additionally, Gauss Law does not account for the effects of moving charges and magnetic fields, and in these cases, other laws such as Ampere's Law are more appropriate.