What is the origin and purpose of hyperbolic trig functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of right triangles with opposite sides labeled as trigonometric functions in both Euclidean and hyperbolic spaces. The Pythagorean theorem is applied to these triangles and it is questioned whether angle D can be constructed from the given information or if it requires computation. The purpose of hyperbolic trigonometric functions is also questioned.
snoopies622
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Imagine a right triangle with vertices A,B and C and corresponding opposite sides a, b and c such that there is a right angle at B and side b is the hypontenuse. Let the length of side b = 1. If I label side a as sin(A) and side c as cos(A), then the Pythagorean theorem gives us [tex]sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1[/tex], which we believe to be true in general.

Now use the same triangle but instead let the length of side a =1 and let us call side c "sinh(D)" and b (the hypotenuse) as "cosh(D)". Then the Pythagorean theorem gives us [tex]cosh^2(D)-sinh^2(D)=1[/tex], which we also believe to be true in general.

My question is, where is angle D? Can it be constructed from this triangle or does it have to be found with pure computation (meaning without the aid of a diagram)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi snoopies622! :smile:
snoopies622 said:
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

You should obviously have asked it in hyperbolic space. :mad:
My question is, where is angle D? Can it be constructed from this triangle or does it have to be found with pure computation (meaning without the aid of a diagram)?

Do you mean a (+,-) metric, like Minkowski space, or do you mean an isotropic homogenous metric, like that of a sphere, but with negative curvature?

If you mean (+,-), then it isn't a real angle, since one dimension is "space" and the other is "time", but yes the sides would be coshD and sinhD, and their ratio tanhD would be a speed, not an angle.

If you mean what I call hyperbolic space, then the angles are ordinary angles, and only the sides are hyperbolic angles. Sin = opposite/hypotenuse still works, but cos = adjacent/hypotenuse doesn't …and there is no D, only a θ. :smile:

Last edited:
I just meant in flat space with a Euclidean metric, but perhaps under those conditions no construction (with straight edge and compass only) is possible. Does anyone know the original purpose of hyperbolic trig functions? Was it to deal with right triangles in the complex plane?

1. What is hyperbolic trigonometry?

Hyperbolic trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with hyperbolic functions, which are closely related to the standard trigonometric functions. These functions are defined using the hyperbolic sine, cosine, and tangent, which are written as sinh, cosh, and tanh, respectively.

2. What are the applications of hyperbolic trigonometry?

Hyperbolic trigonometry is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It has applications in calculating the trajectories of objects moving in a gravitational field, analyzing electromagnetic waves, and solving differential equations.

3. How is hyperbolic trigonometry different from standard trigonometry?

The main difference between hyperbolic trigonometry and standard trigonometry is the shape of the curves. While standard trigonometric functions like sine and cosine have periodic curves, hyperbolic functions have non-periodic curves. In addition, the identities and properties of hyperbolic functions are different from those of standard trigonometric functions.

4. What are the inverse hyperbolic functions?

The inverse hyperbolic functions are the inverse of the hyperbolic trigonometric functions. They are denoted as sinh-1, cosh-1, and tanh-1 and are used to find the angle that corresponds to a given hyperbolic function value.

5. How can hyperbolic trigonometry be visualized?

Hyperbolic trigonometry can be visualized using a hyperbolic grid, similar to a Cartesian coordinate system. The curves of the hyperbolic functions are represented as hyperbolas on this grid. This visualization helps in understanding the relationships between hyperbolic functions and their properties.