About Optical and Solid State Physics

In summary, The areas of physics used in Optical physics, particularly Quantum Optics/Information, include Electrodynamics and Quantum Mechanics. Other areas such as QED and QTF may also be relevant. In terms of math classes, analysis, differential equations, linear algebra, and numeric methods are important for becoming a better physicist. There is a possibility of being both a theoretical and experimental physicist in optical physics, and job opportunities in theoretical optics may be limited but do exist in the industrial world. Theoretical physicists in optical physics may also work in labs to test their predictions, particularly in applied research focused on materials characterization.
P3X-018
Now I can obviously just search the internet for information about what these areas of physics are about, but what I want to know is more specific information about these areas that I can't find.
Like what areas of Physics are used in Optical physics or maybe more specifically Quantum Optics/Information, besides the obvious thing like optics. Electrodynamics, and Quamtum mechanics are when talking about Quantum Optics, what about areas like QED, or maybe QTF? Are they 'useless' in optical physics?
So to be even more specific what areas of math do one also use? Since I want to take some math courses, and don't want to take stuff completely irrevant.

And the questions for Solid State Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't there people in here who have studied Quantum Optics or Information, and can say something about it?

I think that orginally (early 20th centuury) optics and solid state did not have much use for field theory. However, this has changed. The BCS theory of superconductivity, effective field theories, and cavity QED are all examples where field theories have had application to solid state and optics. So I don't think QFT is useless if you are going into these fields.

In terms of math classes, as long as you take math classes in analysis, differential equations, linear algebra, and numeric methods, then you will find tools that make you a better physicist. I'm not sure about more abstract areas like number theory.

When getting a degree in those areas (or in any areas of physics), do you then become EITHER a theoretical OR an experimental physicist, isn't there something 'in between'? I like theoretical physics but I also want to test the theories and hence be 'involved' in experiments. But I think theoreticians are usually involved with experiments, and work with experimentalists, so is it the case in optical physics?

But how are the job opportunities for theoretical physicists in optical physics?

P3X-018 said:
When getting a degree in those areas (or in any areas of physics), do you then become EITHER a theoretical OR an experimental physicist, isn't there something 'in between'? I like theoretical physics but I also want to test the theories and hence be 'involved' in experiments. But I think theoreticians are usually involved with experiments, and work with experimentalists, so is it the case in optical physics?

But how are the job opportunities for theoretical physicists in optical physics?

Most theoreticians are involved with experiments, how would you be able to test your predictions.

As for jobs in thoeretical optics, I have not seen too many out there in the industrial world, there are a few. I do exactly what you are discussing, theoretician working in a lab checking my predictions. Most of my work involves materials characterization, so I do a lot of what would be considered "applied research".

1. What is the difference between optical and solid state physics?

Optical physics is the study of the behavior and properties of light, while solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials. Optical physics focuses on the interaction of light with matter, while solid state physics focuses on the structure, properties, and behavior of solids.

2. How do optical and solid state physics relate to each other?

Optical and solid state physics are closely related as many solid materials have unique optical properties that can be studied using principles of optical physics. In addition, the use of optical techniques, such as spectroscopy, can provide valuable insights into the physical properties and behavior of solid materials.

3. What are some real-world applications of optical and solid state physics?

Optical and solid state physics have a wide range of applications in various industries, including telecommunications, electronics, and materials science. They are used in the development of new technologies such as lasers, optical fibers, and solar cells. Additionally, they are used in the study of materials for various applications, such as semiconductors for electronic devices, and in the development of new materials with specific optical properties.

4. What are the main research areas in optical and solid state physics?

The main research areas in optical physics include the study of light-matter interactions, the properties of light, and the development of new optical technologies. In solid state physics, research areas include the study of crystal structures, electronic and magnetic properties of materials, and the development of new materials with specific properties.

5. What are some common experimental techniques used in optical and solid state physics?

Some common experimental techniques used in optical and solid state physics include spectroscopy, which involves the study of the interaction between light and matter, and diffraction, which is used to study the structure of crystalline materials. Other techniques include microscopy, which allows for the observation of materials at the nanoscale, and thermal analysis, which is used to study the thermal properties of materials.