Reaction Rate: Calculations & Limitations

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of reaction rate, which is limited by the number of incident particles. However, if the density of the target increases, the reaction rate can surpass this limit. The concept is further explained using a differential equation for flux. The conversation ends with a request for a reference for more detailed formulas.
Nguyen Ngoc Anh
Dear all,

As we know, the reaction rate can be calculated as following:

R = N * σ * Φ (1)

Where R is reaction rate (events/s/cm3)
σ is cross section (cm2)
Φ is flux of incident particle beam (particles/s/cm2
N is density of target (atoms/cm3)

Logically, there is a limitation of R, because R cannot larger than the number of incident particles. But as equation (1), if Φ is constant, that means the number of incident particles is unchanged, and N increases, R will increase without any limitation. So if N is big enough, R will pass the limit that I talked above.

I hope that you can understand my idea well, because, my English is so bad.

Thank you very much,

Physics news on Phys.org
If you increase N too much, the incident particle beam won't penetrate the whole target, so you get regions with lower flux.

Likes Nguyen Ngoc Anh
mfb said:
If you increase N too much, the incident particle beam won't penetrate the whole target, so you get regions with lower flux.
To expand on this, what you have given in post #1 is true only as long as the target can be considered thin. When this is no longer the case, you will get an exponential attenuation of the flux as it penetrates into the target material.

Likes Nguyen Ngoc Anh
mfb said:
I thought about it. But we can think as following:

You have a target of mass m, therefore N atoms. You have I particles come to the target. In this case, R ~ I and N, so if you increase N, R increase, even if particle can not penetrate the whole target.

Orodruin said:
To expand on this, what you have given in post #1 is true only as long as the target can be considered thin. When this is no longer the case, you will get an exponential attenuation of the flux as it penetrates into the target material.
That's clever, could you please send me a reference with detailed formula?

I'm so sorry for my all stupid questions.

Thank you,

You have to look at a differential equation for the flux. Looking at a target with number density ##n## and cross section per target ##\sigma##, the probability of a given particle interacting in a thin layer of thickness ##dx## is given by ##p = \sigma n \, dx## and the change in the flux over the this distance is therefore
$$
d\Phi = - \Phi \sigma n \, dx \quad \Longrightarrow \quad \frac{d\Phi}{dx} = - n \sigma \Phi.
$$
Solving this differential equation for constant ##n## and ##\sigma## gives
$$
\Phi = \Phi_0 e^{-n\sigma x},
$$
where ##\Phi_0## is the flux at ##x = 0##.

Likes Nguyen Ngoc Anh

1. What is reaction rate?

Reaction rate is the measure of how quickly or slowly a chemical reaction takes place. It is usually expressed as the change in concentration of a product or reactant over time.

2. How is reaction rate calculated?

Reaction rate can be calculated by dividing the change in concentration of a product or reactant by the change in time. This gives the average rate of the reaction over a specific time interval.

3. What are some factors that can affect reaction rate?

The concentration of reactants, temperature, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst are all factors that can affect reaction rate.

4. Can reaction rate ever be too fast or too slow?

Yes, reaction rates can be limited by the availability of reactants or by the presence of inhibitors. If the rate is too fast, it can also be dangerous and difficult to control.

5. How accurate are reaction rate calculations?

The accuracy of reaction rate calculations depends on the precision of the experimental data and the assumptions made in the calculation. It is important to consider any limitations and sources of error when interpreting reaction rate data.