About small displacement method for phonons

In summary, there is a limitation of the small displacement method for calculating phonons. This method requires the wave vector k to be orthogonal to the size of the supercell. This means that the wave vector cannot be any chosen value. The supercell must also fit the period of the k-vector. The program used for this calculation allows for a variable number of k points, but the tutorial mentions the need for a large supercell to make Hellmann-Feynman force negligible outside of it. This is because the dynamical matrix element involves a summation of infinite terms of force constants. The explanation for this limitation may be difficult to understand.
Hyla Brook
Dear All,

I have trouble to understand the calculation of phonon using small displacement method. I found people said the limitation of this method was that it requires the wave vector k orthogonal to the supercell size(?). Does it mean the wave vector is not any you want? why? I got really confused. Any idea is highly appreciated. Thank you!

H.B

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You have to do a full electronic calculation for each choice of the k vector of the displacement. The super-cell has to fit the period of the k-vector.

DrDu said:
Yes. You have to do a full electronic calculation for each choice of the k vector of the displacement. The super-cell has to fit the period of the k-vector.

Thank you for reply Dr. Du. But in the program (e.g. phon), the number of k point is variable. That means we can choose any k wave vector we want in the BZ.

The tutorial of this program says the limitation of this method is we need a large supercell to make Hellmann-Feynman force negligible outside the supercell. I think this is easy to understand because the element of the dynamical matrix is a summation involving the force constants, which in principle has infinite terms. I asked that question because that explanation was mentioned as equivalent as this one. I cannot even understand that well.

Could you explain it more?

Last edited:

1. What is the small displacement method for phonons?

The small displacement method is a theoretical approach used in solid state physics to calculate the vibrational properties of a crystal lattice. It involves perturbing the atoms from their equilibrium positions and solving the equations of motion to determine the frequencies and modes of lattice vibrations, also known as phonons.

2. How does the small displacement method differ from other methods for calculating phonons?

The small displacement method is based on the harmonic approximation, which assumes that the potential energy of the lattice can be approximated as a quadratic function around the equilibrium positions. This simplifies the equations of motion and makes it easier to calculate phonon frequencies compared to other more complex methods, such as the density functional theory.

3. What are the limitations of the small displacement method?

The small displacement method is limited by the assumption of harmonic behavior, which may not accurately describe the vibrations in some materials. It also does not take into account anharmonic effects, such as thermal expansion and lattice defects, which can significantly affect phonon frequencies in real materials.

4. Can the small displacement method be used for all types of materials?

The small displacement method is most suitable for crystalline materials with a well-defined periodic lattice. It may not be applicable to amorphous materials or systems with significant disorder, as the assumptions of the method may not hold true for these types of structures.

5. How is the small displacement method validated?

The small displacement method can be validated by comparing its results to experimental data, such as Raman or infrared spectroscopy measurements. Additionally, the method can be used to calculate other properties, such as specific heat and thermal conductivity, which can also be compared to experimental values to assess its accuracy.