About the tilt of Uranus' axis

In summary, according to theory, Uranus had an eventful early life that included a large planetary body hitting it and possibly a close encounter with Neptune. It is now believed that the two events were related and that the tilt to Uranus' axis was caused by a collision with a third body.
bbbl67
TL;DR Summary
Was Uranus in a tussle with Neptune and Planet 9?
Now, Uranus seems to have had an eventful early life. According to theory, it got hit by a large planetary body, which knocked it's axis to nearly 90°. Also according to another theory, it apparently had a close encounter with Neptune which took Neptune further away, when initially it was closer than Uranus.

I'm wondering if maybe the two events were related, and possibly the same event? I'm also wondering if a third body was involved in this, let's say the hypothetical Planet 9? What if at one point Planet 9 and Uranus got into a very close orbit with each other, such that they were basically a dual-planet system for a little while. Then Neptune tried to come into the mix, and it ended up knocking Planet 9 out into a huge orbit, and ended up skewing Uranus' rotation axis, as Planet 9 went flying off?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The latest understanding on Uranus 90° was that no single impact could have caused it without having a catastrophic effect on Uranus itself, we now believe it was 2 impacts, both glacing blows that tilted it to its current orientation. I am not sure how having a close encounter with Neptune could have caused it to tilt onto it's side.

I assume you are implying an impact with the proposed Planet 9. I am not sure we can really discuss planet 9 here without falling foul of the forum rules as it's not been proven yet. And speculation that it may have been caused by planet 9 is just that, speculation which I believe also is not allowed without some proof.

MikeeMiracle said:
I assume you are implying an impact with the proposed Planet 9. I am not sure we can really discuss planet 9 here without falling foul of the forum rules as it's not been proven yet. And speculation that it may have been caused by planet 9 is just that, speculation which I believe also is not allowed without some proof.
No, I wouldn't say I am talking about an impact with Planet 9, but rather an orbital dance. Let's say an early Uranus and an early P9 got into a close orbit of each other, sort of a dual-planetary system rather than a planet-moon system. Then eventually Neptune closed in onto the dual planet system, and the smallest of the planets, P9, got kicked out to the outer solar system, but not before torquing Ur into its 90° tilt.

I'm still not convinced by what mechanics it could turn Uranus sideways if it's on the same plane as the rest of the planets, if it could then surely we would see other bodies sideways also. Hopefully someone more familiar with planetary bodies could step in here.

As for being the smallest planet, while it's diameter might be smaller Uranus, it is proposed to be a super earth, a rocky planet 8 times bigger than Earth. If it does exist and turns out to be a rocky planet, while being smaller it might still have a comparable mass to Uranus which is a gas giant.

Last edited:
Likes bbbl67
MikeeMiracle said:
I'm still not convinced by what mechanics it could turn Neptune sideways

You mean Uranus ?? Neptune isn't on its side

Yes, apologies, corrected now

Likes davenn

1. What is the tilt of Uranus' axis?

The tilt of Uranus' axis is approximately 98 degrees, which means that it is tilted almost completely on its side. This is significantly different from the other planets in our solar system, which have a tilt of less than 30 degrees.

2. What causes the tilt of Uranus' axis?

The exact cause of Uranus' extreme tilt is still unknown, but it is believed to be the result of a collision with a large object early in the planet's formation. This collision could have knocked Uranus off its original axis and caused it to rotate on its side.

3. How does the tilt of Uranus' axis affect the planet's seasons?

The extreme tilt of Uranus' axis causes its seasons to be much more extreme than those on Earth. As Uranus orbits the sun, one pole is constantly facing towards the sun while the other is in complete darkness. This results in long periods of sunlight and darkness, causing extreme seasonal changes.

4. Does the tilt of Uranus' axis affect its magnetic field?

Yes, the tilt of Uranus' axis does affect its magnetic field. Unlike most planets, Uranus' magnetic field is not aligned with its axis of rotation. Instead, it is tilted at an angle of about 60 degrees. This is believed to be due to the planet's extreme tilt and its unique magnetic field generation process.

5. How does the tilt of Uranus' axis impact the planet's atmosphere?

The tilt of Uranus' axis has a significant impact on its atmosphere. The extreme tilt causes the planet's atmosphere to flow in a complex pattern, with strong winds blowing in opposite directions. This creates a unique and dynamic atmosphere, with changing cloud patterns and weather systems.