Finding Solutions for Absolute Equations: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter maxpayne_lhp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary, the equation has solutions for m greater than or equal to 2/3 of the sqrt(3) and for x between -1 and 1.
maxpayne_lhp
Hello,
Well, I have the equation:
[tex]x^2-2x-m|x-1|+m^2=0 (1)[/tex] They ask me what m is so that the equation has solution(s)
Well, I let [tex]t=|1+x|[/tex] and solve the problem with t (no more x) and I have the last equation: [tex]t^2-mt+m^2-1=0[/tex] (2)
in order that (1) has solution(s), (2) must have solution(s) t grater or equal 0
Is that right?, is the action of let t is something make my solution wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The substitution [tex] t=:|x-1| [/tex] is much better.

Daniel.

Why? So, is my solution wrong?
Thanks

Because it substitutes exactly the problematic term,namely the absolute value...

Try to compute the new equation using my solution.I think it's much easier.

Daniel.

If you call t = |x + 1|, you obviously WON'T get [itex]t^2-mt+m^2-1=0[/itex]. You can just get that if you substitude t = |x - 1|. And if I am correct, that problem does have solution.
Viet Dao,

Okay, thanks Dextercioby. Viet dao, you meant that I compute incorrectly? Hmmm let me do it again.
Or, we can 'break out' the absolute by divide into two situation: x-1 >= 0 or x-1 <0 it's long, but not so confusing.

maxpayne_lhp said:
Okay, thanks Dextercioby. Viet dao, you meant that I compute incorrectly? Hmmm let me do it again.
Or, we can 'break out' the absolute by divide into two situation: x-1 >= 0 or x-1 <0 it's long, but not so confusing.

Well, "what up" then? Excuse my American urban getto slang as I use poor grammar to express emotions. Personally, I'd like to see closure on questions but that's just me. Anyway, seems to me one way to solve this is to break it up into two cases: x-1[itex]\geq 0 [/itex] and x-1<0. Doing that gives the same result for the bounds on m considering real solutions:

[tex]-\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\leq m \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

What did you get?

I wonder if it would be easier to look at it more abstractly...

Instead of asking "for which m does this equation have a solution", you could instead say "solve this equation for m and x" or "for which x does this equation have a solution".

It's somewhat easier to solve this equation for m than for x... then once you have a bound on x, you could turn it into a bound on m.

But maybe that's the hard way. *shrug*

1. What is an absolute equation problem?

An absolute equation problem is a mathematical equation that involves absolute value, which is the distance of a number from zero on a number line. These types of equations often have two solutions.

2. How do you solve an absolute equation problem?

To solve an absolute equation problem, you must first isolate the absolute value expression by itself on one side of the equation. Then, create two separate equations by removing the absolute value bars and setting the expression within them equal to both the positive and negative versions of the other side of the equation. Finally, solve each equation separately to find the two possible solutions.

3. Can an absolute equation problem have more than two solutions?

No, an absolute equation problem can only have two solutions. This is because the absolute value of a number can only have two possible values - the positive and negative versions of that number.

4. Are there any special rules for solving absolute equation problems?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving absolute equation problems. First, when removing the absolute value bars, you must remember to include both the positive and negative versions of the expression within them. Additionally, if the absolute value expression is set equal to a negative number, there are no real solutions to the equation.

5. How are absolute equation problems used in real life?

Absolute equation problems are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve real-world problems involving distance, speed, and optimization. For example, an engineer may use absolute equations to calculate the distance a bridge can span or the height a building can reach while still being structurally sound.