Limit of (-1)^n(2n^3)/(n^3+1) using Absolute Value Theorem

In summary, the problem is to find the limit of the sequence (-1)n(2n3)/(n3+1). The initial attempt to use the absolute value theorem fails due to the factor of (-1)n. To solve the problem, the numerator and denominator can be divided by n3, which results in the limit approaching 2. However, the presence of (-1)n means that the limit could potentially converge to either 2 or -2, or the sequence may diverge altogether. Therefore, further analysis is needed to determine the behavior of the sequence.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

Find the limit of this sequence:

(-1)n(2n3)/(n3+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance I would attempt to use the absolute value theorem which gives an answer of 2 as n approaches infinite. My question is, when the theorem fails ( limit =/ 0) then does that mean the sequence is divergent? I haven't seen any documentation that explicitly states an is divergent if the absolute value theorem doesn't hold.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit of this sequence:

(-1)n(2n3)/(n3+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance I would attempt to use the absolute value theorem which gives an answer of 2 as n approaches infinite. My question is, when the theorem fails ( limit =/ 0) then does that mean the sequence is divergent? I haven't seen any documentation that explicitly states an is divergent if the absolute value theorem doesn't hold.

By taking the absolute value, you're essentially stripping off the factor of (-1)n, which isn't legitimate to do. If you write down 5 or 6 terms of the sequence, you should get an idea of what it is doing.

From an analysis point of view assume that there is some limit L. Then, by definition, for any epsilon there must exist some N such that for all n>N. Take a small epsilon, less than the limit if there was no (-1)^n, and then show that the next term is larger than said epsilon.

Jufro said:
From an analysis point of view assume that there is some limit L.
Well, that's problemlematic with this limit!

Then, by definition, for any epsilon there must exist some N such that for all n>N. Take a small epsilon, less than the limit if there was no (-1)^n, and then show that the next term is larger than said epsilon.
What I would do is divide both numerator and denominator by [itex]n^3[/itex]. That gives
[tex](-1)^n\frac{2}{1+ \frac{1}{n^3}}[/tex]

If it were not for that "[itex](-1)^n[/itex]" we could immediately say that the limit, as n goes to infinity, is 2. But what does that say about the limit with that "[itex](-1)^n[/itex]"?

The question basically boils down to [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(-1)^n[/itex]. Does this limit converge? It was pointed out that with this term removed, the limit converges to the value of 2. This term switches between -1 and +1 every time we increase [itex]n[/itex]. Intuitively what does that mean?

Jimbo57 said:
My question is, when the theorem fails ( limit =/ 0) then does that mean the sequence is divergent? I haven't seen any documentation that explicitly states an is divergent if the absolute value theorem doesn't hold.

That's because an arbitrary [itex](a_n)[/itex] might still converge. If [itex]|a_n| \to L > 0[/itex] then the three possibilities are that [itex]a_n \to L[/itex], or [itex]a_n \to -L[/itex], or [itex](a_n)[/itex] diverges, having the property that for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], if [itex]n \geq N[/itex] then either [itex]|a_n - L| < \epsilon[/itex] or [itex]|a_n - (-L)| < \epsilon[/itex].

What is the Absolute Value Theorem?

The Absolute Value Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that the absolute value of a number is always non-negative. It is denoted by two vertical bars surrounding the number, and it represents the distance of the number from zero on a number line.

What is the significance of the Absolute Value Theorem?

The Absolute Value Theorem is important because it helps us understand the concept of distance and magnitude in mathematics. It is also used in various mathematical proofs and in solving equations involving absolute value.

How is the Absolute Value Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Absolute Value Theorem has various real-life applications, such as in calculating distances, determining the magnitude of a force or velocity, and in measuring error or deviation in scientific experiments.

What is the difference between the Absolute Value Theorem and the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Absolute Value Theorem states that the absolute value of a number is always non-negative, while the Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the length of the third side. They are different theorems with different applications, but they both involve the concept of distance and magnitude.

How can the Absolute Value Theorem be applied to solve equations?

The Absolute Value Theorem can be used to solve equations involving absolute value by setting up two equations, one with the positive value and one with the negative value, and solving for both cases. The solutions obtained will be the possible solutions of the original equation.