Abstract-H is normal to G. Order of G/H is m, g^m exists in H?

• Thread starter danthaman857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, the conversation discussed Lagrange's Theorem and its implications for a normal subgroup H of a finite group G. It was shown that the order of G/H is m, and it was questioned whether g^m is in H for all g in G. Various statements were made, including the fact that o(G) = o(H) * o(G/H) and that the quotient group is divided into m disjoint partitions of G, each with j elements. It was also noted that if a^m is in H, then a^mH = H, but it is unclear how a^m could equal the identity in G.
danthaman857
Let H be a normal subgroup of a finite group G. The order of G/H (quotient/factor group) is m. Show g^m is in H for all g in G.

Lagrange's Thm says that o(G) = o(H) * o(G/H)
xH = Hx for all x in G, since H is a normal subgroup of G

Ok, I've got a lot of statements that i believe to be true, how relevant they are is what i can't decide.

- let o(G) = k, o(H) = j, o(G/H) = m
so k = mj by Lagrange

- the quotient group is broken up into m disjoint partitions of G
- each partition has j elements
- I know that the o(g) | o(G)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the order of G/H is m, then what is (g+H)m?

If + is the Binary op, then (aH)^m should be equal to (aH)(aH)... m times and since H is normal in G aH = Ha so...

(aH)^m = a^mH?

so a^m is in G

if a^m was to equal the identity in G, then a^mH = H would imply that a^m is an element of H because hH = H = Hh, but i don't see how a^m could equal the identity in G

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for Abstract-H to be normal to G?

When Abstract-H is normal to G, it means that every element of Abstract-H commutes with every element of G. This is denoted by H⊴G.

2. What is the order of G/H?

The order of G/H is the number of distinct cosets of H in G. It is denoted by |G/H| and is equal to the index of H in G, which is the number of left cosets (or right cosets, since H is normal) of H in G.

3. What does it mean for g^m to exist in H?

When g^m exists in H, it means that the element g multiplied by itself m times is an element of H. In other words, the subgroup generated by g is a subgroup of H.

4. Can you provide an example of Abstract-H being normal to G?

One example is the group of integers under addition, ℤ, being normal to the group of rational numbers under addition, ℚ. Every integer can commute with any rational number, and the order of ℚ/ℤ is infinite.

5. How does the concept of normality relate to the quotient group G/H?

The quotient group G/H is formed by taking the set of all left cosets of H in G, and defining a binary operation on them. The normality of H to G ensures that this operation is well-defined and forms a group, making G/H a valid quotient group.