Ac analysis with dependent source

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the current I1 in a circuit with an independent AC voltage source, inductor, capacitor, and dependent voltage controlled voltage source. The equations used for solving the circuit are KVL and KCL. The attempt at a solution involves using mesh loop analysis and converting to the frequency domain, but there are discrepancies with the signs and usage of impedance. Switching to using the matrix form of mesh analysis may simplify the calculations.
craka

Homework Statement

Determine I1

independent AC voltage source 10 cos 10^5t
inductor 60mH
capacitor 5nF
dependent voltage controlled voltage source 3Vx

Homework Equations

KVL & KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
- 7.071 + 6000I_1 - j6000I_3 = 0 \\
I_3 = I_1 - I_2 \\
- 7.071 + 6000I_1 - j6000(I_1 - I_2 ) = 0 \\
j6000(I_1 - I_2 ) + 3v_x - j2000 = 0 \\
v_x = 6000I_1 \\
- 7.071 + 6000I_1 - j6000(I_1 - I_2 ) = 0 \\
j6000(I_1 - I_2 ) + 3(6000I_1 ) - j2000 = 0 \\
24000I_1 = 7.071 + j2000 \\
I_1 = (2.94625 \times 10^{ - 4} ) + j0.083333 \\
I_1 = 0.0833\angle 89.79^o \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

The answer for I1 is given as 0.33mA @ 171.9 degrees

Could someone help me here please, gone over this for a couple hours still stumped.
Cheers

Attachments

• ac_branch_current_analysis.jpg
    ac_branch_current_analysis.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Quickly going through your attempt, all I can spot is that your complex value for the independent supply is incorrect. cos(x)=sin(x+pi/2)...

One sure-fire way to get it is to use mesh method.

If I convert to the frequency domain and have my voltage as my zero phase reference it shouldn't matter should it? ie voltage 7.071 V @ 0degrees

I thought what I tried was mesh loop analysis.

Yes, of course you can calculate it as cos as the reference. But in that case you need to start playing with the signs a bit more due to the definition of inductor and capacitor.

And by mesh method I meant using the matrix form. You only get 2x2 matrix, which is easy to deal with.

Edit: Going more in-depth to your calculations, looks like your sign convention differs from mine. Can you explain the method how you got rows 1 and 4? Especially in row 4 why do you only use the impedance of the capacitor or is it a typo? And is the voltage source given as 10cos(10^5t), because in the picture the frequency is 15.9kHz, which would give w=31831pi?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of AC analysis with dependent sources?

AC analysis with dependent sources helps to analyze and understand the behavior of circuits with dependent sources, which are sources whose values depend on other circuit parameters.

2. How is AC analysis with dependent sources different from AC analysis with independent sources?

In AC analysis with independent sources, the sources have fixed values and do not depend on other circuit parameters. In AC analysis with dependent sources, the sources have variable values that are affected by other circuit parameters.

3. What are some examples of circuits with dependent sources?

Some examples of circuits with dependent sources include voltage-controlled voltage sources (VCVS), current-controlled voltage sources (CCVS), voltage-controlled current sources (VCCS), and current-controlled current sources (CCCS).

4. How is the analysis of dependent sources useful in circuit design?

The analysis of dependent sources allows for a more accurate understanding of circuit behavior and can help in designing circuits with specific desired characteristics. It also allows for the creation of more complex and versatile circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to AC analysis with dependent sources?

One limitation of AC analysis with dependent sources is that it assumes the sources are linear, which may not always be the case in practical circuits. It also does not account for non-linear effects such as saturation in certain components.