AC Circuit Analysis for Complex Voltages and Impedances

In summary, a complex voltage v(t)=60sin(3wt)+15sin(3wt)+10sin(5wt) volts is applied to a coil of inductance 5mH and resistance 6(ohms). The expressions for the instantaneous value of current, rms voltage, rms current, and power dissipated were determined using the superposition principle and summing the power dissipated at each frequency. The power dissipated was found to be 242 W.
otester
Was wondering if anyone can confirm that I am on the right track or not?

I'm not sure whether Irms is meant to be a complex number not :/

Thanks in advance,

otester

Homework Statement

A complex voltage v(t)=60sin(3wt)+15sin(3wt)+10sin(5wt) volts is applied to a coil of inductance 5mH and resistance 6(ohms). Determine, for a fudamental frequency of 100Hz, (a) an expression to represent the instantaneous value of current, (b) the rms voltage, (c) the rms current, (d) the power dissipated.

Homework Equations

XL = 2(pie)fL
Impedance (Z) = R + jXL
RMS current (Irms) = Vrms/Z
w = (omega)
Power dissipated=(Irms)x(Vrms)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) XL = 2(pie)100x(5x10^-3) = 31.42(ohms)
Z = 6+j31.42
Irms = ( 60sin(3wt)+15sin(3wt)+10sin(5wt) ) / ( 6+j31.42 )

(b) Vrms = sqrt( (60^2+15^2+10^2)/2 ) = 44.3x0.707 = 31.32V

(c) Irms = 31.32 / ( 6+j31.42 ) = 5.22+j0.997
(In polar form: 5.31 @ 10.81 (degrees))

(d) Power dissipated = (31.32)x(5.31 @ 10.81) = 36.63 @ 10.81

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A complete solution is offered.

I suspect that the first term of the given instantaneous voltage expression was meant to have an angular frequency of ω, not 3ω like the second term. Otherwise the two terms could simple by combined into a single term of 75 V magnitude (although this could be an intended trick for the student to catch). I will take the voltage expression to be:

v(t) = 60sin(ωt)+15sin(3ωt)+10sin(5ωt) volts

We are dealing with three frequencies and the circuit will exhibit three distinct impedances, one for each frequency component. We will use the superposition principle and deal with them separately.

##Z_1 = 6 + j 2\pi (f~L) = 6 + j \pi~Ω##
##Z_3 = 6 + j 2\pi (3f~L) = 6 + j3\pi ~Ω##
##Z_5 = 6 + j 2\pi (5f~L) = 6 + j5\pi~Ω##

Part (a) An expression for the instantaneous peak current
We divide each component of the peak voltage equation by the corresponding circuit impedance pertaining to its frequency. The results will be complex values. The magnitude of each result is the magnitude of the current term, while its phase angle is incorporated into the sin function of the time domain expression:

1) ##\frac{60}{6+j \pi} = 8.859~∠~-27.64°~~Amps##
2) ##\frac{15}{6 + j 2\pi} = 1.727~ ∠~-46.32°~~Amps##
3) ##\frac{10}{6 + j 5\pi} = 0.595~ ∠~-69.10°~~Amps##

##i(t) = 8.859sin(ωt - 27.64°) + 1.727sin(3ωt - 46.32°) + 0.595sin(5ωt - 69.10°)~~Amps##

Part (b) Determine the RMS voltage
The RMS values of the separate frequency components add in quadrature. So:

## V_{rms} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{60}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{15}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{10}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2} = \sqrt{\frac{60^2 + 15^2 + 10^2}{2}} = 44.3~V##

Part (c) Determine the RMS current

Using the terms of the instantaneous peak current expression from part (a);
##I_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{(8.859)^2 + (1.727)^2 + (0.595)^2}{2}} = 6.35~A##

Part(d) Determine the power dissipated
We'll sum the power dissipated at each frequency.

If V is an RMS voltage and I an RMS current and Φ the phase angle between current and voltage then the power is given by P = V*I cos(Φ). But if V and I are peak values, the √2 conversions to RMS of the voltage and current multiply, and the power becomes ½ V*I cos(Φ). We have all the peak voltage terms from the given information, and the peak currents and phases from part (a). So:

##
P = \frac{1}{2} [~~(60)(8.859) cos(-27.64°)\\
~~~~~~~~~~+ (15)(1.727) cos(-46.32°)\\
~~~~~~~~~~+ (10)(0.595) cos(-69.10°)~~] \\
~~= 241.9~W
##

So 242 W to three figures.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
@gneill you wrote a huge /Solution answer.Thank you so much!:smile:You are an awesome helper.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction, as opposed to a DC (direct current) circuit which has a constant direction of current flow.

2. How is an AC circuit different from a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, the current flows in one direction only, while in an AC circuit, the current changes direction periodically. Additionally, AC circuits typically use transformers and capacitors to control the voltage, while DC circuits do not.

3. What is the role of frequency in AC circuits?

The frequency of an AC circuit refers to how many times the current changes direction in one second. This is measured in Hertz (Hz) and determines the rate at which the current alternates.

4. How do you calculate impedance in an AC circuit?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in an AC circuit, and it takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition caused by inductors and capacitors). To calculate impedance, you can use the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is resistance and X is reactance.

5. What are some common components found in AC circuits?

Some common components found in AC circuits include resistors, capacitors, inductors, transformers, and diodes. These components are used to control the voltage and current in the circuit and can be arranged in various configurations to achieve different circuit functions.