Detecting Overvoltage in 3-Phase AC Signal

• Thread starter hemant03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Signal
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to detect overvoltage on each of the 3 phases of a 3 phase AC signal. The use of a full bridge rectifier is considered but there is uncertainty about how to reference the output. Other options, such as using neutral as the PCB ground and using split power supplies, are suggested. The conversation also mentions the need for full wave rectification and attenuation of the voltage, and ends with a clarification about attenuating the voltage.
hemant03
Hi,
I have to detect overvoltage on each of the 3 phases (individually) of a 3 phase AC signal. The 3 phase AC source has a neutral that is grounded and I have to use the same ground plane for my PCB.
I was thinking of using a full bridge rectifier for each of the 3 phase but the problem is what do I reference the output to? Is there any other way or would I need a transformer?
I have attached the schematic as an attachment.

Thanks

Attachments

• doc20111121142354.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 231
Engineering news on Phys.org
hemant03 said:
Hi,
I have to detect overvoltage on each of the 3 phases (individually) of a 3 phase AC signal. The 3 phase AC source has a neutral that is grounded and I have to use the same ground plane for my PCB.
I was thinking of using a full bridge rectifier for each of the 3 phase but the problem is what do I reference the output to? Is there any other way or would I need a transformer?
I have attached the schematic as an attachment.

Thanks

The bridge seems like a reasonable approach. If you use a single diode and Neutral ground your PCB, you can see the peak of every other half waveform. Is that sufficient?

BTW, using Neutral for your PCB ground means that your circuit is not going to be SELV. Is the whole circuit isolated from other SELV circuitry nearby?

No, the need is full wave rectification as overvtg can occur on any of the cycle.

For the second section, the neutral of the 3 phase is tied to the chassis/system gnd and pcb gnd is also tied to the same so , i guess the answer would be no.
So, what are other options available to me?

hemant03 said:
No, the need is full wave rectification as overvtg can occur on any of the cycle.

For the second section, the neutral of the 3 phase is tied to the chassis/system gnd and pcb gnd is also tied to the same so , i guess the answer would be no.
So, what are other options available to me?

What is your power source for your circuitry? You can still do the full-wave rectification, attenuate the voltage, and measure it differentially. You will need split power supplies (like +/-12V) to power the measuring circuitry.

115vac 10amps. 3 phase. Can you send me the circuit. I am not sure of what to use as reference after full wave rectification.

hemant03 said:
115vac 10amps. 3 phase. Can you send me the circuit. I am not sure of what to use as reference after full wave rectification.

What is the context of your question? Why are you being asked to design this circuit if you do not know how to do it?

Hi,
Oh! I guess there was a misunderstanding. What I meant was how do i attenuate. I believe I have figured that out. Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks,
- Hemant

1. What is overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal?

Overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal is when the voltage level exceeds the normal operating range. This can be caused by spikes in the power supply or faulty equipment.

2. How can overvoltage be detected in a 3-phase AC signal?

Overvoltage can be detected in a 3-phase AC signal by using a voltmeter or a specialized overvoltage detector. These devices measure the voltage level and trigger an alarm if it exceeds a certain threshold.

3. What are the potential consequences of overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal?

Overvoltage can cause damage to electrical equipment and disrupt the normal functioning of a system. In extreme cases, it can also pose a safety hazard to individuals working with the equipment.

4. How can overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal, including using surge protectors, installing voltage regulators, and regularly maintaining and inspecting electrical equipment.

5. Are there any warning signs that can indicate overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal?

Yes, there are some warning signs that can indicate overvoltage in a 3-phase AC signal, such as flickering lights, buzzing or humming sounds from electrical equipment, and burning smells. It is important to address these signs immediately to prevent potential damage or hazards.