1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating Incline - Conditions to prevent slipping

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (Kleppner & Kolenkow - Introduction to Mechanics - 2.17)
    The first attached image shows a box on an incline which is accelerated at a rate a meters per second squared. [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction between the box and incline surface. The questions are in the image.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's Laws

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can understand that there will be a range for the accelerations which will leave the box static on the incline. I'm not sure how the math is to be applied to get the maximum acceleration. I got the answer for minimum by resolving forces along the surface of the incline, and equating them. The answer I got was:

[itex]a=g \frac{sin(\theta)-\mu cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)+ \mu sin(\theta)}[/itex]

This gives the correct answer for the case given in the clues. I'm not sure how to proceed to find the maximum acceleration. Any hints?

Attached Files:

• q.png
      q.png
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Consider the direction of the friction force.

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3
    Of course! In the maximum case, the block is on the verge of drifting up the incline, so the friction force must be directing down the incline! So the maximum acceleration is given by-

[itex]a=g \frac{sin(\theta)+\mu cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)-\mu sin(\theta)}[/itex]

Thanks a lot!

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4
    I got the same answer, but solved for μ. So

μ = [itex]\frac{gsinθ - acosθ }{asinθ + gcosθ }[/itex]

but the correct answer is μ = tanθ
    help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook