Accelerating Incline - Conditions to prevent slipping

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box on an incline with a given coefficient of friction and a range of accelerations. The minimum acceleration is found by resolving forces along the incline, while the maximum acceleration is determined by considering the direction of the friction force. The correct answer for the maximum acceleration is μ = tanθ, which can be solved for using the equation given.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

(Kleppner & Kolenkow - Introduction to Mechanics - 2.17)
The first attached image shows a box on an incline which is accelerated at a rate a meters per second squared. [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction between the box and incline surface. The questions are in the image.

Homework Equations

Newton's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I can understand that there will be a range for the accelerations which will leave the box static on the incline. I'm not sure how the math is to be applied to get the maximum acceleration. I got the answer for minimum by resolving forces along the surface of the incline, and equating them. The answer I got was:

[itex]a=g \frac{sin(\theta)-\mu cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)+ \mu sin(\theta)}[/itex]

This gives the correct answer for the case given in the clues. I'm not sure how to proceed to find the maximum acceleration. Any hints?

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider the direction of the friction force.

Of course! In the maximum case, the block is on the verge of drifting up the incline, so the friction force must be directing down the incline! So the maximum acceleration is given by-

[itex]a=g \frac{sin(\theta)+\mu cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta)-\mu sin(\theta)}[/itex]

Thanks a lot!

I got the same answer, but solved for μ. So

μ = [itex]\frac{gsinθ - acosθ }{asinθ + gcosθ }[/itex]

but the correct answer is μ = tanθ
help?

To find the maximum acceleration without slipping, you can use the concept of limiting friction. This means that the frictional force between the box and the incline will be equal to the maximum possible value of the frictional force, which is given by the equation F = \mu N, where \mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

To determine the normal force, you can use the fact that the box is at rest, so the sum of forces in the y-direction must be equal to zero. This means that N = mg cos(\theta), where m is the mass of the box and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Substituting this into the equation for the maximum frictional force, we get F_{max} = \mu mg cos(\theta).

Now, we can use Newton's second law to relate the maximum frictional force to the maximum acceleration: F_{max} = ma_{max}.

Substituting F_{max} into this equation, we get: \mu mg cos(\theta) = ma_{max}.

Solving for a_{max}, we get the final equation: a_{max} = \mu g cos(\theta).

This is the maximum acceleration that the incline can have without the box slipping. Any acceleration greater than this value will result in the box slipping down the incline.

1. What is an accelerating incline?

An accelerating incline is a surface that is tilted at an angle and is also increasing in speed. This can be created artificially, for example, on a rollercoaster or on a moving treadmill.

2. What are the conditions that can cause slipping on an accelerating incline?

The main conditions that can cause slipping on an accelerating incline are a lack of friction between the surface and the object, a high angle of incline, and a high velocity of the object.

3. How can I prevent slipping on an accelerating incline?

To prevent slipping on an accelerating incline, you can increase the friction between the surface and the object by using materials with a high coefficient of friction, such as rubber or sandpaper. You can also decrease the angle of incline and the velocity of the object.

4. Why is it important to prevent slipping on an accelerating incline?

Preventing slipping on an accelerating incline is important for safety reasons. Slipping can lead to accidents and injuries, especially if the object is moving at a high speed. It is also important for maintaining the accuracy of scientific experiments that involve an accelerating incline.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect slipping on an accelerating incline?

Yes, other factors that can affect slipping on an accelerating incline include the surface material, the weight and shape of the object, and external forces such as wind or vibrations. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing experiments or using an accelerating incline for recreational purposes.