Finding Acceleration in a Moving Particle

In summary, the initial velocity of the particle is unknown, but you do know the final velocity in the x direction.
habibclan

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the xy-plane with constant acceleration. The particle is located at r= (2i + 4j)m at t=0 s. At t=3 s it is at r=(8i - 2j) m and has a velocity v= ( 5i - 5j) m/s.
a) What is the particle's acceleration vector a?
b) What are its position, velocity and speed at t= 5s?

Homework Equations

xf= xo + vt+ 0.5 a t^2
yf= yo + vt+ 0.5 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above two equations to solve for the acceleration in both x and y components separately and I got a= (1.33i - 1.33j), but the answer at the back of the textbook is a= (2i - 2j). I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Can someone guide me please? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us the steps you took to get the 'wrong' answer.

Hi habibclan,

In your equations, the v is the initial velocity, and it appears that you plugged in 0 for that. However, this particle does not start at rest, and the initial velocity is unknown. (So your x equation, for example, has two unknowns--the initial velocity in the x direction and the acceleration in the x direction.)

However, you do also know the final velocity in the x direction. Do you see what to do with that?

For the equation, i plug in the initial and final x-component position, the initial velocity as 0, and t=3 s and solve for a.

xf= xo + vt+ 0.5 a t^2
8 = 2 + 0.5*a * (3^2)
a= 1.33

Therefore, the acceleration of the x-component is 1.33 m/s^2

For this one, its the same as above, except i plug in the intial and final y-comp. positions.

yf= yo + vt+ 0.5 a t^2
-2=4 + 0.5*a* (3^2)
a= -1.33

Therefore, acceleration of the y-comp. is -1.33 m/s^2.

What am I doing wrong please?

The initial velocity is unknown you'll have to solve 2 equations with two unknowns.

alphysicist said:
Hi habibclan,

In your equations, the v is the initial velocity, and it appears that you plugged in 0 for that. However, this particle does not start at rest, and the initial velocity is unknown. (So your x equation, for example, has two unknowns.)

However, you do also know the final velocity in the x direction. Do you see what to do with that?

I got it! Thank you so much! I used the equation vf= vi + at to solve for initial velocity and then plugged it in. Stupid of me to assume that the initial velocity was 0. Thanks a lot!

1. What is acceleration in component form?

Acceleration in component form refers to the representation of acceleration as a vector with its components in the x, y, and z directions.

2. How is acceleration in component form calculated?

Acceleration in component form is calculated using the formula a = (ax, ay, az), where ax is the acceleration in the x direction, ay is the acceleration in the y direction, and az is the acceleration in the z direction.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector acceleration?

Scalar acceleration refers to the magnitude of acceleration, while vector acceleration refers to both the magnitude and direction of acceleration.

4. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in component form?

The direction of acceleration in component form can be determined by using the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent to find the angle between the acceleration vector and the x, y, and z axes.

5. What units is acceleration in component form measured in?

Acceleration in component form is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).