How much distance will be covered in the next second with constant acceleration?

In summary, the object undergoes constant acceleration and travels 5 meters in the first second while initially at rest. The additional distance it will cover in the next second is determined by the acceleration, which is either 5m/s^2 or 10m/s^2 depending on the chosen formula. The correct answer is 10 meters.
MIA6

Homework Statement

An object undergoes constant acceleration, initially at rest, then it travels 5 meters in the first second. What additional distance will be covered in the next second?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it right that it covers 15 meters the next second? I think it should cover 10 meters the next second. Well, if I use kinematic equation to find out the acceleration, a=10m/s^2 when time lasts two seconds, but i think the question asks you the next second, so it lasts only 1 second,too despite it's the 2nd second, so I use my common sense, the acceleration for next second should be 5m/s^2, too. I got the additional distance is 10 meters. Which one is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not telling! :wink: But the acceleration doesn't change. Apply that same kinematic equation twice: for t = 1 and for t = 2.

Doc Al said:
I'm not telling! :wink: But the acceleration doesn't change. Apply that same kinematic equation twice: for t = 1 and for t = 2.

I mean the question asks me for the additional distance in the next second. It's the 2nd second, but the time still lasts for one second. so I would choose to use t=1. If I use t=2, then a=10, but it is from time 0-2. It's different.

MIA6 said:
I mean the question asks me for the additional distance in the next second. It's the 2nd second, but the time still lasts for one second. so I would choose to use t=1. If I use t=2, then a=10, but it is from time 0-2. It's different.
If you are starting from the beginning, you'd use the distance from t = 1 to t = 2. But if you want to start counting 1 sec after the first 5 m, then don't forget that it is no longer starting from rest.

Maybe it would to clearer to answer these questions:
(1) Where is it after 1 second? (Answer is given: x = 5 m.)
(2) Where is it after 2 seconds?

Once you answer these you can see the additional distance it travel during that second second.

wait, how come two different formulas got two different results. a from the time 0-1, should be 5m/s^2, vf=vi+at, a=5 (I put vf=5 m/s), but for this formula d=vit+at^2/2, a=10? which one is right?

vf at t = 1 is not 5 m/s. 5 m/s is the average speed for the first second. vf at t = 1 is 10 m/s.

OHH. I was confused with the basic conception. Okay, I got it. Then, I think the additional distance is 10m not 15m. 15m is the total distance of 2 seconds. But question asks you ADDITIONAL DISTANCE, so I think is 10m (t=1, 1-2)

MIA6 said:
15m is the total distance of 2 seconds.
How did you determine this?

wait, I got 15 before was because I calculated the final speed vf=15, and then 1*15=15, it's wrong I think because average speed may not be 15. Then, a=10, d=vi+at^2/2 d=5+10*1/2=10m right?

MIA6 said:
Then, a=10, d=vi+at^2/2 d=5+10*1/2=10m right?
If you are starting at the beginning of the second second (at t = 1), what's vi?

Why not start at the beginning (vi = 0) and just find out where this thing is at t=1 and t=2?

ohh. vi=10 at the beginning of second second! 10+5 so it should be 15.

MIA6 said:
ohh. vi=10 at the beginning of second second! 10+5 so it should be 15.
Good!

You could also have used: D = 1/2 a t^2 starting from t = 0

At t = 1; D = 1/2 a (1) = 5 m
At t = 2; D = 1/2 a (4) which means it must be 4 times further, or D = 20 m

Yes, and then subtract them. Thank you.

Related to How much distance will be covered in the next second with constant acceleration?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, acceleration is how fast an object's speed is changing.

How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how fast an object's speed is changing.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration in everyday life include riding a roller coaster, throwing a ball, and driving a car. In these situations, an object's speed is changing, so it is experiencing acceleration.

How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its speed and/or direction. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing, which means it is moving faster, slower, or in a different direction. Acceleration is a key concept in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move in the world around us.