Acceleration. linear motion. i'm stuck

Delta denotes "change" of. The a(\Deltax) is read "a times the (change in x)" and the (1/2)(\DeltaV2) is read "one half times the (change in V squared)".In summary, the conversation discusses finding the deceleration of a train that is initially moving at a velocity of 60 m/s and stops after traveling a distance of 600 m. The suggested kinematic formula to use is a(\Deltax)=(1/2)(\DeltaV2), which relates initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement.
Run Haridan
acceleration. linear motion. I'm stuck!

Homework Statement

a train moves at a velocity of 60 m s-1 and stops after a distance of 600m. what is its deceleration?

Homework Equations

v=s/t

The Attempt at a Solution

this is my working:
u= 0 m s-1
v= 60 m s-1
s= 600 m

v=s/t
60=600/t
t=10 s

...and I'm stuck here. please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The velocity is not uniform. So you can't use v = s/t. And here initial velocity is 60 m/s and final velocity is 0. Use appropriate kinamatic formula which relates initial velocity, final velocity , acceleration and displacement.

what formula? tell me and i'll try to work it out!

v^2 - u^2 = 2as

My favorite for finding acceleration is a([tex]\Delta[/tex]x)=(1/2)([tex]\Delta[/tex]V2)

1. What is acceleration in linear motion?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In linear motion, this refers to the change in the object's speed or direction as it moves in a straight line.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how that velocity is changing.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If an object has a positive acceleration, it is speeding up, while a negative acceleration (or deceleration) means it is slowing down. Additionally, acceleration can also cause a change in direction for an object in linear motion.

5. What factors can affect acceleration in linear motion?

Several factors can affect acceleration in linear motion, including the force applied to the object, its mass, and any opposing forces (such as friction) acting on it. The type of surface the object is moving on can also impact its acceleration.