Calculating Angular Velocity and Tensions After a Ball Hits a Board at an Angle

• Thread starter Raphael30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, after the ball impacts the orthogonal bottom corner of a board held by wires, it can be easily calculated the angular velocity of the board and ball. The angular momentum of the ball is also conserved. There is no external torque and angular momentum is conserved. The mass of the ball is only 20g next to 900g for the plank, meaning the parallel axis theorem hardly changes the moment of inertia, but the angle of the axis of rotation and the rectangular shape still makes it annoying to integrate. It is easy to calculate the angular momentum about the CM of the ball + plank system, and the parallel axis theorem is used to calculate the angular velocity. Finally, after the ball impacts the orthogonal bottom corner of
Raphael30
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
For a question involving a ball hitting orthogonally the bottom corner of a board held by wires, I need to calculate the angular velocity of the board and ball (collision is inelastic) right after the collision, before there's any external torque.

I can easily calculate the angular momentum L, equal to the momentum of the ball x its distance from the combined center of mass at the moment of collision. I could then find w using L=wI, but integrating the moment of inertia for a rectangular board around an axis running diagonally through sounds like it's not the simplest solution.

My question is: since w has x and y components, can I treat Lx and Ly separately and combine wx and wy afterwards? I'm guessing so, as L is a vector, but I've never done this before. Also, is there a trick similar to the parallel axes theorem to calculate I when you rotate the axis around the center of mass? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raphael30 and welcome to PF.

How do you mean ω has x and y components? Can you provide a drawing and include the axes? I assume gravity is acting on the system, correct?

If you choose to calculate angular momentum about the CM of the ball + plank system, then yes, you have to use the parallel axis theorem. It's not a trick, it's the correct way to go about it. For that, you need to know, look up or derive the moment of inertia of the plank about its CM.

Likes Raphael30
Made this beautiful paint drawing.
48366989_1474959895981640_3160415383698014208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq3-1.jpg

The pink line is where I suppose the resulting instantaneous axis of rotation should be, which is why I said ω has x and y components. Since gravity and tension are both on the same plane as the axis of rotation at this instant (and I only have to calculate ω at the time of the collision), I supposed there was no external torque and angular momentum was conserved. The mass of the ball is only 20g next to 900g for the plank, meaning the parallel axis theorem hardly changes the moment of inertia, but the angle of the axis of rotation and the rectangular shape still makes it annoying to integrate. I'm pretty sure I can use L=Iω to calculate ω, my question is really whether it would work to use the x distance between the ball and the center of mass to calculate L around a vertical axis and find ωy, then do the same for ωx and combine them with ω^2 = ωy^2 + ωx^2

Attachments

• 48366989_1474959895981640_3160415383698014208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq3-1.jpg
    48366989_1474959895981640_3160415383698014208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq3-1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 263
Those are not very convenient x and y axes for the reasons you describe. I would define coordinate axes parallel and perpendicular to that diagonal and divide the rectangle into strips parallel to the axis. Let's say x is perpendicular to the diagonal and y is parallel, so you're dividing the rectangle into strips dx which all have the same distance from the axis.

It's not hard to work out what the limits of x (perpendicular distance from the diagonal) are or what the length of a strip is at a given value of x, and thus the value of mr^2 for such a strip. Then integrate that over dx.

Likes Raphael30
Raphael30 said:
The pink line is where I suppose the resulting instantaneous axis of rotation should be
It won't be. The plate will acquire some net linear motion.
Raphael30 said:
my question is really whether it would work to use the x distance between the ball and the center of mass to calculate L around a vertical axis and find ωy, then do the same for ωx and combine them with ω^2 = ωy^2 + ωx^2
Yes, that is definitely the way to go.

Likes Raphael30
Thanks! I have one final question: in this case, how does the collision affect the tension in both ropes immediately after? The added mass of the ball should increase the tension in the right rope, but is there another factor when the plate is still straight? I was thinking maybe the centripetal acceleration of the plate could affect the tension? Especially on the left end, the rotation implies the end of the rope has fairly strong acceleration and, while the acceleration is neutral over the entire plate, it is more downwards on the left side and upwards on the right end. It doesn't really make sense how a tension that generates no torque would affect the rotation anyway, but I'm really unsure about this. Thanks in advance if anyone can explain this to me.

Raphael30 said:
maybe the centripetal acceleration of the plate could affect the tension?
Quite so.
You can find the velocity at each of the top two corners just after the impact. That gives you the centripetal accelerations of those two points, and thus a linear and rotational acceleration of the plate (+ball). From that you should be able to determine the additional tensions.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How do you combine angular momentums?

To combine angular momentums, you can use the vector addition rule, which states that the total angular momentum of a system is equal to the vector sum of the individual angular momentums of its components.

3. Why is it important to combine angular momentums?

Combining angular momentums is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also helps us analyze the conservation of angular momentum in these systems.

4. Can angular momentums cancel each other out?

Yes, angular momentums can cancel each other out if they have opposite directions. This is known as destructive interference and can result in a decrease in the total angular momentum of a system.

5. Are there any real-life examples of combining angular momentums?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of combining angular momentums, such as the motion of a spinning top, the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, and the rotation of a spinning figure skater. In all of these cases, the angular momentums of individual components are combined to determine the overall angular momentum of the system.