Acceleration of a hanging mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the acceleration of a hanging mass attached to another mass on a flat surface. The net force acting on the object is given by F = ma, and the acceleration can be affected by varying the masses and accounting for friction. There is a difference between the static and kinetic coefficients of friction, and the tension in the string may also be affected by friction.
chillpenguin
I would rather ask a more general question then the specific homework question... Basically I am wondering how to calculate the acceleration of a hanging mass that is attached to another mass on a flat surface. Picture a mass on a table. This mass is attached to a string, which is hooked onto a pulley, and then goes off the edge of the table and is attached to a second mass. I originally thought if it was a friction-less surface that the acceleration would just be gravity no matter what. But I think varying the 2 masses would change things. Also I would like to know how to account for friction. What is the acceleration without friction? What is the acceleration with friction? I need some type of equation with variables so I can solve for any mass values and any coefficient of friction (including friction-less).

Physics news on Phys.org
The net force acting on the object on the table is given by;
F = ma
Where;
F is force
m is mass of the object dangling from the pulley
a is gravitational acceleration - 9.81

Accounting for friction, when the object is stationary subtract
Ffr = μsFN
Where;
Ffr is frictional force
μs is static coefficient of friction
FN is the normal force of your object on the table (mass x 9.81)

Once the object is moving/sliding...
Ffr = μkFN
Where;
μk is the kinetic coefficient of friction

mic* said:
The net force acting on the object on the table is given by;
F = ma
Where;
F is force
m is mass of the object dangling from the pulley
a is gravitational acceleration - 9.81
This is wrong if things move. If the hanging mass (m2) is accelerating, the tension is less than m2g.

chillpenguin, there are two ways to address this. The safest is to consider FBDs of the two masses separately. If the string is inextensible then they will have the same acceleration. If the pulley requires no torque (frictionless and massless) then the tensions will be the same.
A shortcut is to observe that the driving force is m2g, and the mass driven (all at the same acceleration) is m1+m2. Subtract as necessary from m2g for the friction.

Related to Acceleration of a hanging mass

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of a hanging mass?

The formula for calculating acceleration of a hanging mass is a = F/m, where "a" is the acceleration, "F" is the force applied, and "m" is the mass of the object.

2. How does the angle of the string affect the acceleration of a hanging mass?

The angle of the string does not affect the acceleration of a hanging mass. The acceleration only depends on the force applied and the mass of the object, not the angle of the string.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a hanging mass?

The acceleration of a hanging mass can be affected by factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the system (such as friction or air resistance).

4. Can the acceleration of a hanging mass be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a hanging mass can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. This would result in the object slowing down or changing direction.

5. How is the acceleration of a hanging mass related to its velocity and position?

The acceleration of a hanging mass is directly proportional to its velocity and inversely proportional to its position. This means that as the acceleration increases, the velocity of the object will also increase, and its position will change at a faster rate.