Acceleration of a relativistic particle

In summary: I used ##t##, instead of ##t'##, and it seems senseless to use the time ##t## measured from the first frame to get a quantity measured in the second frame.If the particle was not relativistically moving, then it would be easy: ##a' = d^2 x' / dt'^2 = d^2 x' / dt^2 = a##. What can I do?I got an ugly expression with several terms.If you do not write down the expression, we have no way of determining whether it is correct or not.But when I evaluate the vector quantity (d2t′/dt2,d
kent davidge
In an inertial frame, consider that a particle's position and the time measured by a clock in this frame are respectively, ##(t,x)##.

Suppose there's another frame, moving with constant speed ##v_R## with respect to the frame described above.

The particle acceleration is given in the first frame by ##d^2 x / dt^2##. In the second frame I would expect it would be given by ##d^2 x' / dt'^2##. I know the relation between the primed and unprimed coordinates: $$t' = \gamma (t - v_R x) \\ x' = \gamma (x - v_R t)$$ But in expressing ##d^2 x' / dt'^2## by chain rule, etc... in terms of ##(t,x)## I got an ugly expression with several terms. But when I evaluate the vector quantity ##(d^2 t' / dt^2, d^2 x' / dt^2)## I get a beautiful expression for ##a'##, namely ##a' = \gamma a##, aside from the fact that that vector is Lorentz invariant.

What bothers me, however, is that in the last expression I used ##t##, instead of ##t'##, and it seems senseless to use the time ##t## measured from the first frame to get a quantity measured in the second frame.

If the particle was not relativistically moving, then it would be easy: ##a' = d^2 x' / dt'^2 = d^2 x' / dt^2 = a##. What can I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I got an ugly expression with several terms.
If you do not write down the expression, we have no way of determining whether it is correct or not.

kent davidge said:
But when I evaluate the vector quantity (d2t′/dt2,d2x′/dt2)(d2t′/dt2,d2x′/dt2)(d^2 t' / dt^2, d^2 x' / dt^2) I get a beautiful expression for a′a′a', namely a′=γaa′=γaa' = \gamma a, and this vector is Lorentz invariant.
It is not. The 4-acceleration is the second derivative of the spacetime vector with respect to proper time, not any coordinate time.

Orodruin said:
It is not
It is not what? The Lorentz invariance I mentioned can be seen here ##(d^2 t' / dt^2, d^2 x' / dt^2) = (- \gamma v_R a, \gamma a)##. Its inner product with itself gives ##a^2##. On the other frame, it's ##(d^2 t / dt^2, d^2 x / dt^2) = (0, a)## and its inner product with itself is ##a^2##.
Orodruin said:
The 4-acceleration is the second derivative of the spacetime vector with respect to proper time, not any coordinate time
But the most natural time available on the frame is the time measured by a clock moving with the frame. What justifies me to take the derivatives with respect to a time measured by a clock on the particle's frame?

It is not Lorentz invariant because ##dt## is not Lorentz invariant. That is why the 4-acceleration (and 4-velocity) are defined using the proper time, not the time of any particular frame. Your ##a## is frame dependent.

kent davidge said:
But the most natural time available on the frame is the time measured by a clock moving with the frame. What justifies me to take the derivatives with respect to a time measured by a clock on the particle's frame?
The most natural time available is the proper time of the particle, not an arbitrary coordinate time.

An old possibly useful related thread

"Magnitude of proper acceleration in terms of three vectors"

The main thing I'd take away from this thread is that it is rather messy to get proper acceleration from the coordinate accelerations in an inertial frame. In contrast, it's much simpler to use a 4-vector approach, from the 4-velocity u (the derivative of 4-position with respect to proper time), and the 4-acceleration a, the derivative of the 4-velocity with respect to proper time.

Note that much of the thread has an analysis by me that is probably wrong :(, though I never did track down exactly where I went wrong.

For the 1 space + 1 time case, rapidity methods can be quite useful, fundamentally due to the fact that rapidities add linearly (unlike velocities). It's much less useful in the 3 space + 1 time case, though.

kent davidge said:
In an inertial frame, consider that a particle's position and the time measured by a clock in this frame are respectively, ##(t,x)##.

Suppose there's another frame, moving with constant speed ##v_R## with respect to the frame described above.

The particle acceleration is given in the first frame by ##d^2 x / dt^2##. In the second frame I would expect it would be given by ##d^2 x' / dt'^2##. I know the relation between the primed and unprimed coordinates: $$t' = \gamma (t - v_R x) \\ x' = \gamma (x - v_R t)$$ But in expressing ##d^2 x' / dt'^2## by chain rule, etc... in terms of ##(t,x)## I got an ugly expression with several terms. But when I evaluate the vector quantity ##(d^2 t' / dt^2, d^2 x' / dt^2)## I get a beautiful expression for ##a'##, namely ##a' = \gamma a##, aside from the fact that that vector is Lorentz invariant.

What bothers me, however, is that in the last expression I used ##t##, instead of ##t'##, and it seems senseless to use the time ##t## measured from the first frame to get a quantity measured in the second frame.

If the particle was not relativistically moving, then it would be easy: ##a' = d^2 x' / dt'^2 = d^2 x' / dt^2 = a##. What can I do?

The correct expressions for the three-acceleration are given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration_(special_relativity)

Likes kent davidge
In analogy to the curvature of a plane curve,
the proper acceleration is the derivative of the rapidity (angle of the tangent) with respect to proper time (arc length).
[itex] a=\frac{d\theta}{ds}=\frac{\ddot x}{\sqrt{1-\dot{x}^2}^3}=\gamma^3 \ddot{x} [/itex]

Likes PeroK

Related to Acceleration of a relativistic particle

1. What is the definition of acceleration for a relativistic particle?

The acceleration of a relativistic particle is the rate of change of its velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the particle's velocity is changing over time.

2. How is the acceleration of a relativistic particle calculated?

The acceleration of a relativistic particle can be calculated using the formula a = γ^3 * v^2 / c^2, where a is the acceleration, γ is the Lorentz factor, v is the velocity of the particle, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the difference between acceleration in classical mechanics and relativistic mechanics?

In classical mechanics, acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. However, in relativistic mechanics, acceleration is more complex and takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds of the particle.

4. How does the acceleration of a relativistic particle affect its mass?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the mass of a particle increases as its velocity increases. This means that as a relativistic particle accelerates, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate further.

5. What are some real-world applications of the acceleration of relativistic particles?

The acceleration of relativistic particles is used in many fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. Some examples include particle accelerators used in research, the acceleration of particles in the Large Hadron Collider to study the fundamental building blocks of matter, and the acceleration of particles in particle beams used for medical treatments such as cancer therapy.