How Is the Acceleration of a Rocket Calculated When a Bolt Falls Off?

In summary, a rocket is launched straight up with constant acceleration. Four seconds after liftoff, a bolt falls off the side of the rocket and hits the ground 6.0s later. The bolt will have the same velocity as the rocket at the moment it falls free. The biggest confusion is whether or not the bolt had an initial positive velocity, but it can be assumed that it was just let go and fell with gravity.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched straight up with constant acceleration. Four seconds after liftoff, a bolt falls off the side of the rocket. The bolt hits the ground 6.0s later.

Homework Equations

[itex]v_x = v_0 + at[/itex]
[itex]x_f = x_0 + v_0t + 1/2at^2[/itex]
[itex]v_x^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(Δx)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The biggest part I'm confused about is whether or not the bolt had an initial positive velocity (I am setting down as negative). It says the bolt "falls off the side", implying it just falls down.

Position of bolt before it falls
[itex]0m = x + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(6.0s)^2[/itex]
[itex]x_i = 176.4m[/itex]

Acceleration of rocket
[itex]176.4m = 1/2(a)(4.0s)^2[/itex]
[itex]a = 22.05 m/s^2[/itex]

My answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ritzycat said:
The biggest part I'm confused about is whether or not the bolt had an initial positive velocity (I am setting down as negative). It says the bolt "falls off the side", implying it just falls down.
The bolt will have the same velocity as the rocket at the moment it falls free. "Falls off the side" just means that it's not shot out or launched, but just let go.

Ritzycat said:
or not the bolt had an initial positive velocity (I am setting down as negative). It says the bolt "falls off the side", implying it just falls down.

If you were cycling along and you fell off your bike, would you have forward velocity?

Fair enough. I got to go now, but I'll attempt the problem later tonight. Conceptually I understand that - but the wording sort of got to me. Thanks for clarifying!

I would approach this problem by first clarifying any assumptions or uncertainties in the given information. In this case, it is unclear whether the bolt had an initial velocity or not. To account for this, I would propose two possible scenarios:

1. The bolt had an initial velocity of zero, meaning it was simply released from the rocket and fell straight down. In this case, the acceleration of the rocket can be calculated using the position of the bolt before it fell, as you have done in your attempt at a solution. However, the acceleration would be negative, as the rocket is moving upwards and the bolt is falling downwards. So the equation would be 0m = x + 1/2(-a)(6.0s)^2, giving an acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2.

2. The bolt had an initial velocity that was the same as the rocket's, meaning it was attached to the rocket and moved upwards for 4 seconds before falling off. In this case, the acceleration of the rocket can be calculated using the position of the bolt when it falls, as it would be at the same height as the rocket at that point. The equation would be 0m = x + 1/2(a)(6.0s)^2, giving an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2.

It is also important to note that the equations provided in the homework statement are for motion in one dimension (in this case, vertical motion). If we want to consider the motion of the rocket in two dimensions (taking into account its horizontal velocity), we would need to use vector equations and consider the effects of gravity on both the vertical and horizontal components of its motion.

Overall, as a scientist, I would use the given information to make reasonable assumptions and use the appropriate equations to calculate the acceleration of the rocket in each scenario. From there, I would compare my results and determine which scenario is more likely based on the given information.

1. What is acceleration and how does it relate to a rocket?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In the context of a rocket, acceleration is the increase in velocity as the rocket gains speed. As the rocket's engines produce thrust, it pushes against the air and propels the rocket forward, causing it to accelerate.

2. How is the acceleration of a rocket calculated?

The acceleration of a rocket can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to achieve that change. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a rocket?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of a rocket are the amount of thrust produced by the engines, the weight of the rocket, and the air resistance it encounters. A higher amount of thrust will result in a greater acceleration, while a heavier rocket or higher air resistance will slow down the acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of a rocket change during its flight?

As the rocket uses up its fuel and becomes lighter, its acceleration will increase due to the decrease in weight. However, as the rocket reaches higher altitudes, the air resistance decreases, resulting in a higher acceleration. Eventually, the acceleration will level off as the rocket reaches its maximum speed, known as terminal velocity.

5. Why is it important to consider the acceleration of a rocket in space travel?

The acceleration of a rocket is crucial in space travel as it determines the speed at which the rocket can reach its destination. A higher acceleration allows for a shorter travel time, while a lower acceleration will result in a longer journey. Additionally, precise control of a rocket's acceleration is necessary for successful maneuvers and orbit insertions.