Acceleration of gravity NOT ON EARTH

In summary, acceleration of gravity is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the center of a planet or other massive body. It is typically denoted as "g" and is dependent on the mass and size of the body. On Earth, the acceleration of gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, but on other planets or in other parts of the universe, this value can vary significantly. Understanding acceleration of gravity is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.
Justhelp
This was the first day of class, and this is due Wed. Thank you.

Homework Statement

An object undergoes free fall 126 m on the planet whoosedat. It takes 6.00 sec. to travel the 126 m what is the acceleration of gravity on whoosedat?

Homework Equations

How long would it take an object to fall 15.0 m on whoosedat?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. It is distance/time? making it 21m/s

2. 21m/s/15? making it 1.4 sec

Physics news on Phys.org
Justhelp said:
This was the first day of class, and this is due Wed. Thank you.

Homework Statement

An object undergoes free fall 126 m on the planet whoosedat. It takes 6.00 sec. to travel the 126 m what is the acceleration of gravity on whoosedat?

Homework Equations

How long would it take an object to fall 15.0 m on whoosedat?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. It is distance/time? making it 21m/s
Hello Justhelp. Welcome to PF !

That gives the average velocity for the 6 seconds.

If the object started from rest, what is its final velocity, if its average velocity is 21 m/s ?
2. 21m/s/15? making it 1.4 sec

If the object started from rest, what is its final velocity, if its average velocity is 21 m/s ?

21x6=126 final velocity right?

Is that what I have to do before I reach the results? I am not seeing it.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Justhelp said:
No.

For constant acceleration, [itex]\displaystyle v_{\text{Average}}=\frac{v_{\text{Iniial}}+v_{ \text{Final}}}{2}\ .[/itex] ... just an average of the two.

My dad was just explaining to me per second per second.. And I couldn't quite get it. Could you explain? I understand that acceleration has to always have ms^.

And I came up with 3.5 ms^.

Justhelp said:
And I came up with 3.5 ms^.

I'm getting a slightly different answer. Can you post your work?

Justhelp said:
The problem tells you that the object falls 126 meters. That is a distance, not a velocity. Assuming that the distance is short enough that acceleration can be taken to be a constant, g, then the change in speed over t seconds is gt and the distance fallen is [itex](g/2)t^2[/itex] (assuming that the initial speed was 0). With t= 6 seconds, you have [itex](g/2)6^2= 126[/itex]. Solve that for g and then complete the problem.

a=9.8 m/s^

d= a (m(s^)

126= a (m(s^)

126=a(m(6^)
126= a(m(36)
note: 36 is divided and canceled on the right.

126/36=a

Hallsofivy what is itex?

Justhelp said:
a=9.8 m/s^

d= a (m(s^)

126= a (m(s^)

126=a(m(6^)
126= a(m(36)
note: 36 is divided and canceled on the right.

126/36=a
Why are you using g for Earth, 9.8 m/s2, all of a sudden?

If the object starts from rest, accelerates uniformly and has an average velocity of 126m/s, then it's final velocity (at the end of 6 seconds) must have been 252 m/s.

Because the problem I have come to conclude is not giving the gravity, it may be implying it but I can not tell, the implied gravity in general is 9.8/m s^

Thanks for fixing that Hallsofivy :). Your solution is very much similar to mine. :) it helps!

You keep writing "/ms^". What in the world does that mean? Speed or velocity is "distance divided by time", m/s or "meters per second". Acceleration is speed divided by seconds and so "(meters per second) per second", m/s^2.

"the implied gravity in general is 9.8/m s^". Where is that implied? The whole point of the problem is to calculate the acceleration due to gravity from [/itex](a/2)(6^2)= 126[/itex]. Simple algebra tells you that a is NOT 9.8!

I mean, meters per second sqaured.

9.8 being the gravity on earth..

Yet, the whole point of the problem is that this is NOT on the Earth so that is completely irrelevant.

a is the gravity # 9.8 is just a ref. I didn't use 9.8 at all in the problem.

I felt like a ref. point would help me remember that a stood for gravity.

equation for constant acceleration
s=ut+(1/2)at2
s=126m
t=6sec
a=?m/s2 - acceleration due to gravity on planet whoosedat
u=?m/s - initial velocity.

Here 2 unknowns for one equation. No unique answer.

Justhelp,

This is a differential equation problem. If the acceleration is constant, then there are cut and dried formulas that can be used. The attachment shows how differential methods are employed. The final velocity is 42 meters/second and the average velocity is 21 meters/second.

Ratch

Attachments

• JustHelp.JPG
    JustHelp.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

1. What is acceleration of gravity?

Acceleration of gravity, also known as gravitational acceleration, is the rate at which an object falls towards a gravitational source. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

2. How is acceleration of gravity different on other planets?

The acceleration of gravity on other planets is different because it is affected by the mass and size of the planet. For example, on Mars, the acceleration of gravity is about 3.71 m/s², while on Jupiter it is about 24.79 m/s².

3. How does the acceleration of gravity affect objects on other planets?

The acceleration of gravity affects objects on other planets by determining their rate of free fall towards the planet's surface. This can impact the weight of objects and the strength required to lift them.

4. How is the acceleration of gravity calculated on other planets?

The acceleration of gravity on other planets can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which takes into account the mass of the planet and the distance between the object and the planet's center.

5. Can the acceleration of gravity be zero on other planets?

Technically, the acceleration of gravity can be zero on other planets if the planet has no mass or if an object is far enough away from the planet's center. However, this is not possible in reality as all planets have some level of mass and gravitational pull.