Acceleration of Mass on Spring

In summary: So the answer is 15.6 m/s2?In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration of a small block oscillating on a spring with a period of 3.05 s, at t = 4.30 s and x = 4.35 cm, is 15.6 m/s2. This can be found using the equation a = -Aω2cos(ωt) with ω = 2π/T and properly converting to radians. The previous incorrect answer was due to using the wrong value for ω.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

A small block is oscillating on a spring with a period of 3.05 s. At t = 0 the mass has zero speed and is at x = 4.35 cm. What is the magnitude of the acceleration at t = 4.30 s?

Homework Equations

a=-Aω2cos(ωt)
ω=2∏/T

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=2∏/3.05=2.06
x(0)=Acos(0)=4.35=A(1)=A
so:a=(t)=-4.35(2.06)2cos(2.60(4.30))=-18.3 m/s2

which I've been told is wrong.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I'm sure it's something painfully obvious but I just can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=-k x[t]
x''[t]=-(k/m)x[t]
=-(w^2)x[t]
x[t]=A*cos[w*t]+B*Sin[w*t]
v[t]=w*(-A*sin[w*t]+B*cos[w*t])
a[t]=-w^2*(A*cos[w*t]+B*Sin[w*t])

v[0]=w*B=0, B=0
x[t]=A*cos[w*t]
x[0]=A=4.35

a[t]=-w^2*(4.35*cos[w*t])
w=2Pi/T

As long as you did the calculator work correctly you should have the right answer.

I got 15.58 m/s^2 with my calculator.

You used 2.60 in your Cosine, rather than 2.06 ;)

howsockgothap said:
so:a=(t)=-4.35(2.06)2cos(2.60(4.30))=-18.3 m/s2
Note that the angle within the cosine is in radians. (That might be the issue if your calculator was set to degree mode.) And it should be 2.06, not 2.6. (Perhaps that was just a typo.)

Thank you! I knew I must have done something ridiculous like that.

Related to Acceleration of Mass on Spring

What is the concept of acceleration of mass on spring?

The acceleration of mass on spring refers to the change in velocity of an object attached to a spring as it undergoes oscillatory motion due to the spring's restoring force. This acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is governed by Hooke's law.

How is acceleration of mass on spring related to Hooke's law?

According to Hooke's law, the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that as the displacement of the mass attached to the spring increases, the force exerted by the spring also increases, resulting in a larger acceleration of the mass.

What factors affect the acceleration of mass on spring?

The acceleration of mass on spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillatory motion. An increase in mass or spring constant will result in a larger acceleration, while a larger amplitude will result in a larger displacement and therefore a larger acceleration.

How does the acceleration of mass on spring change over time?

The acceleration of mass on spring follows a sinusoidal pattern, with the acceleration increasing as the mass moves away from equilibrium and decreasing as it approaches equilibrium. This results in a constantly changing acceleration over time during the oscillatory motion.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration of mass on spring?

The acceleration of mass on spring can be observed in various real-life scenarios, such as a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down, a pendulum swinging back and forth, or a car moving over a speed bump. It is also seen in musical instruments like guitars and violins, where the strings vibrate due to the tension of the strings and the weight of the bridge.