Acceleration of object - how much time does it take

In summary, to calculate the distance an object would travel to reach 45mph starting from 0mph in 3.7 seconds, you need to know the acceleration. The formula to calculate distance is x = 0.5at^2, where a is the acceleration and t is the time. In this case, the acceleration is 17.84 ft/s^2 and the distance would be approximately 122.1 feet. This information is useful for those who race go karts or anyone interested in calculating the distance an object can travel in a given time with a specific acceleration.
lumtesm
hey

does anyone know how to calcuate the distance it would take for an object to reach 45mph starting from 0mph with a time limit of 3.7 seconds?

its not a homework question, i acctually race go karts and was curious if there was a way to calculate that

thanks for your help
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
lumtesm said:
hey

does anyone know how to calcuate the distance it would take for an object to reach 45mph starting from 0mph with a time limit of 3.7 seconds?

its not a homework question, i acctually race go karts and was curious if there was a way to calculate that

thanks for your help
Mike

EDIT OOPS! I was sure you had asked about the *acceleration*!
Once you have the acceleration, you may calculate the distance using
[tex] x_f = {1 \over 2} a_x t^2 [/tex]

Of course. The acceleration is simply [itex] {v_{x,f} - v_{x,i} \over \Delta t } [/itex].

You have to be careful with units. I am not sure what units people use quote acceleration of cars in the non-metric system, but it could be in mph/s (miles per hour per second) or miles per hour squared or miles per second squared. I have a hunch that the first would be the standard one (mph per second) in which case you would just divide 45 mph by 3.7 seconds. (In the metric system, it's of course given in m/s^2, meter per second squared).

Patrick

Last edited:
45 mph = 66 ft/s, use ft/s in the above formula.
Therefore, acc. = 66 ft/s / 3.7 s = 17.84 ft/s^2 = a.

So the distance, x, using the formula = 0.5 (17.84) (3.7)^2 = 122.1 feet.

FAQ: Acceleration of object - how much time does it take

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the unit for acceleration?

The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration causes a change in an object's velocity, which in turn affects its motion. If an object is accelerating, its speed and/or direction will change. If an object is decelerating, its speed will decrease until it comes to a stop.

5. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or decelerating. Negative acceleration is also referred to as deceleration or retardation.