Acceleration of voyager spacecraft

• Thread starter battery
  • Start date
If there were a lot of rocks, small Planet X that produced an equal and constant acceleration in both spacecraft. then I would have thought they would have bumped into one by now.
Garth
Perhaps the Polar Lander and Beagle did!

All other considerations aside, the maintenance of a nominal orbit depends upon the momentum of the spacecraft and assuming that NASA is able to program and measure that accurately the problem is most likely one of defects in their calculations. Few if any scientists acknowledge that the traditional formula for centripetal force has an error factor in it which increases as the orbital period decreases. This is what concerns me with the DAWN satellites which NASA hopes to insert into orbit around small asteroids.
QUOTE]

And NASA may like the publicity that some apparently inexpicible phenomena can bring - the public love a mystery.

LURCH

Science Advisor
I still think the most likely cause is radiation pressure rebounding back from the terminal shock at the heliopause. As the solar way and reaches the end of its "sphere of influence" (which is not really a sphere, but... well, you know...) it collides with the dominant "galactic wind." This collision since energy back "upstream" along the solar wind (in accordance with the properties of energy feedback in a supersonic fluid), which then exerts a pressure that pushes objects back toward the sun from all directions, most mimicking a slight increase in the force of gravity from the sun.

The problem with this explanation, of course, is that the exhilaration should not be constant but slightly increase as objects get further from the sun and closer to the heliopause.

I still think the most likely cause is radiation pressure rebounding back from the terminal shock at the heliopause. As the solar way and reaches the end of its "sphere of influence" (which is not really a sphere, but... well, you know...) it collides with the dominant "galactic wind." This collision since energy back "upstream" along the solar wind (in accordance with the properties of energy feedback in a supersonic fluid), which then exerts a pressure that pushes objects back toward the sun from all directions, most mimicking a slight increase in the force of gravity from the sun.

The problem with this explanation, of course, is that the exhilaration should not be constant but slightly increase as objects get further from the sun and closer to the heliopause.

do ''they'' figure in a solar wind effect on the sat on the way out of the inner system ??
droping the added speed over time as the sat gets farther out?

any way I do not see any wind, solar or galactic being steady enuff
both due to distance and due to pluses/flares ect