1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration, Velocity and distance

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An engineer designing a system to control a router for a machining process models the system so that the router's acceleration during an interval of time is a=-1.8vm/s . When t=0 , its position is s=0 and its velocity is 2.4 m/s. Determine the router's position (unit: m) at s.

2. Relevant equations

a=dv/dt, v=ds/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

First i did -1.8v=dv/dt did some integration and work and found v = e^(-1.8t)

I then used e^(-1.8t) = ds/dt and solved for s and subsituted t=0(lower bound) and t=0.75(upper bound) and found s = 0.412m

I am not sure if the first step I did is allowed since I never used the v=2.4. Please tell me my mistakes. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Oblivion77! :smile:

You integrated twice, but you only put in a constant of integration the second time.

The v = 2.4 comes in the first time! :wink:

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    Ok, using the v=2.4 with the first integration I get -1.8v=dv/dt, doing some integration I get
    t=(-1/1.8)ln(v)+0.49 (does this look right so far?). Now I want to solve for v and use v=ds/dt to get the function for position. so v=e^(0.88-1.8t), e^(0.88-1.8t)=ds/dt .Then to sub t=0.75s for the upper bound and t=0 for the lower bound. Does this look right now? Or did I make a mistake somewhere? Thanks!

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh :cry:

No, you integrated dv/v - -1.8dt to get v = Ce-1.8t.

And so, when t= 0, e-1.8t = … ? , and so C = … ? :smile:

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5
    Ok, so when i do that I get v=Ce^(-1.8t). And the intial conditions are t=0, v=2.4. So would i do 2.4=Ce^0, C=2.4. Then v=2.4e^(-1.8t), or do i not use the velocity?

7. Nov 20, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What a long question! :wink:

Yes, v = 2.4e-1.8t

why does that worry you? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?