Acceleration with inclined ramp (Frictionless)

In summary, the acceleration of a skateboard down a ramp inclined at 19.5 degrees to the horizontal is 3.271. The equation to calculate this is g sin theta, where g is the acceleration of gravity and theta is the angle of incline. This equation gives the component of acceleration along the incline, while g/sin theta would give a larger and nonsensical number. A visual representation of this can be seen in the provided image.
Sinusoidal
1. What is the acceleration of a skateboard down a ramp inclined at 19.5 degrees to the horizontal?

3.271 is the answer.

2. I know g Sin[tex]\vartheta [/tex] is the equation to get it, but I don't get why it isn't g divided by Sin[tex]\vartheta [/tex]

3. In my head I thought the picture was like this:
2wew8bq.jpg

I know this should be something super easy, so please explain. haha

Physics news on Phys.org
g sin theta gives you the component of the acceleration of gravity along the incline.
g/sin theta would give you a number larger than 9.81m/s^2 which would make absolutely no sense.

hp-p00nst3r said:
g sin theta gives you the component of the acceleration of gravity along the incline.
g/sin theta would give you a number larger than 9.81m/s^2 which would make absolutely no sense.

Right, but the first statement still confuses me. Is there a picture you could go by for this?

This should help you

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6905/accelerationvectorgh9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, that totally makes sense now. Thanks! :)

1. What is acceleration with an inclined ramp?

Acceleration with an inclined ramp refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes as it moves up or down an inclined plane. It takes into account the angle of the incline and the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How is acceleration calculated on an inclined ramp?

The formula for acceleration on an inclined ramp is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula assumes a frictionless surface. If there is friction, the formula becomes a = g(sinθ - μcosθ), where μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. How does friction affect acceleration on an inclined ramp?

Friction can affect acceleration on an inclined ramp as it opposes the motion of the object. In a frictionless system, the acceleration is solely determined by the angle of the incline and the force of gravity. However, in a system with friction, the acceleration will be reduced due to the opposing force of friction.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and acceleration?

The relationship between the angle of the incline and acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration also increases. This is because a steeper incline will have a greater component of force acting down the ramp, resulting in a greater acceleration.

5. How does mass affect acceleration on an inclined ramp?

The mass of an object does not affect the acceleration on an inclined ramp. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is proportional to its mass, and this force is canceled out when calculating acceleration on an inclined ramp. Therefore, objects of different masses will have the same acceleration on an inclined ramp if the angle and other factors are the same.