Accelerations and rates at a far away point.

• Thread starter jean507
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the accelerations and angular rates at a pilot's position based on given information about the accelerations and angular rates at the center of gravity of an airplane and the distance between the two points. The group is unsure if there is enough information to accurately calculate these values and they discuss the need for velocities in order to differentiate between rates and accelerations. The possibility of using a continuous signal over time and integrating twice is also mentioned.
jean507
Considering I know the accelerations [ax, ay, az] and angular rates [p, q, r] at the center of gravity (cg) of an airplane. How can I calculate the accelerations and angular rates at the pilot's position (p).

I have information about the distance between the cg and the pilot's position which could be characterized by a 3 dimensional vector (R).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards to all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't.
There isn't enough information.

Consider a simple situation where the COG measures a vertical acceleration. With no forward acceleration but a non-zero rotation in pitch.
This motion could indicate that the craft is climbing rapidly in a pure vertical accelerated ascent and rotating, or it could mean that it is spinning around an axis (looping).

You need the velocities. (Or you need to be able to derive them - which means integrating the acceleration over time)

I understand what you mean with your example, this is exactly what I could not understand (how to differentiate between a rate and an acceleration as they could have the same effect on a far away point).

I have a continuous signal over time. I am working with a flight simulation environment. As matter of fact, I am already integrating the accelerations twice to get the speeds and displacements.

Is it possible to do then? How?

1. What is acceleration at a far away point?

Acceleration at a far away point refers to the change in velocity of an object over time, at a point that is a significant distance away from the object. It is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration at a far away point calculated?

Acceleration at a far away point can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It can also be found by taking the second derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. What factors can affect acceleration at a far away point?

Acceleration at a far away point can be affected by factors such as gravity, air resistance, and the object's mass. The presence of other objects in the surrounding environment can also have an impact on the acceleration.

4. How does acceleration at a far away point differ from acceleration at a nearby point?

The main difference between acceleration at a far away point and a nearby point is the distance from the object. When an object is far away, the acceleration may be affected by different factors and may also be lower due to the distance. Acceleration at a nearby point is usually more consistent and can be affected by the object's motion and the forces acting on it.

5. How is the rate at a far away point related to acceleration?

The rate at a far away point is closely related to acceleration because both refer to the change in an object's motion over time. The rate can be used to measure the speed or velocity of an object at a specific point, while acceleration measures the change in velocity over time.